another rendering

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

another rendering

Post by Hirilondë »

It is rather ominous that Brodie chose this winter to do some boat renderings as I have been doing the same. I have chosen a different medium, wood. I have always been intrigued by half hull models. So this is what it has lead to make.

Originally they were not an art form as such, but a tool or technique in the design process. Many were saved and displayed like art, but that was not the purpose. Capt. Nate had no 3-D computer rendering program to help him visualize and create the shape he was looking for. The best way to do that was to make a model. Most half hull models showed little if any detail, they were merely a rendering of the shape of the hull. Often the cabin, if there was to be one, would not even be included in the model. It had nothing to do with what the designer was working on. Though sometimes later in the process a more detailed model including the cabin and more might be made to help in the process.

Even though I am using the half hull model as an artistic expression I am trying to stay true to the details, or rather lack of. I have however chosen to include more than would probably have been included if this were really a tool of the designer. I consider this my artistic license. Anyway, here is what I have come up with...............

Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Re: another rendering

Post by Brodie »

Nice work!

But "ominous"?? Did I do something wrong?? (just kidding, of course)
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Ha ha, no, it is just that I was already working on my model when you made you post. Meant more as a play on words than the best choice of a word.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Nice work! What program did you use for modeling? I wonder if the physics simulations in 3DS or Maya are good enough for simulating hull performance in water yet?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Thanks all for the nice words.
Tallystick wrote: What program did you use for modeling?
Hmmm, program? I will take that as the nicest compliment of them all. I used pictures, sketches and the boat in my back yard as references. And a knife, a couple gouges, a Japanese hand saw, block plane and sand paper to remove all the wood from my blank that wasn't a Renegade. My brain I guess supplied the program, not sure what it is called though ;-)
Dave Finnegan
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Ah, ok I was confused. I thought this was a computer rendering you had made. I'm used to hearing the term rendering in that context. Equally impressed by the real model making.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Tallystick wrote:Ah, ok I was confused.
I seem to have that effect lately. My voice inflection and body language don't come across very well in a forum.
Dave Finnegan
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Crazer »

Very nice work, really well done. This is something that I want to do in the near future, but I think my methods will be a bit more "modern"...my carving skills aren't quite up to the task. What kind of wood did you use?
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

It's made of some scraps of Eastern White Pine glued together to make the thickness I needed. I have been making kayak paddles with Alaskan Yellow Cedar lately and will use that next one I think.
Dave Finnegan