Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Not sure if my boat is classic enough - she's a 1970 Mariner Ketch built in Japan - except for the hand layed fiberglass hull, everything else is wood and brass even the blocks are wood...

See if I can manage to put up a picture...

Poof! that seemd to work - this shot was taken in Castine, ME during the (for me) maiden voyage from Sorrento, ME to her new home port - Raritan Bay, NJ.

It was a cold trip...

But we got some good sailing in... even got to fly the mizzen staysail.

But enough... By means of intro, this is my fourth boat: started with a 19ft home built glass over plywood Friendship Sloop (the Weekender) - changed to a Catalina 22 from that, then to a Seaward 23 and bought the featured Guillemot - a 31ft mariner Ketch, around this time, last year.

I was referred here after asking some questions about wooden rudders and layers and layers of bottom paint, by a good friend of mine and fellow sailor...

Looking forward to challenging this group with some stupid, obvious questions and perhaps even contribute a bit myself...
Last edited by Paulus on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: New Member

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Definitely classic enough, and good looking.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Welcome Paulus. I don't recognize the name, but did you participate in the messing-about forum before? Lots of Weekender builders do.

Pretty boat, in spite of the fact that none of us particularly agree on just what makes a boat a classic I think most if not all will welcome pictures of yours. ;>)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

A+ so far!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Hirilondë wrote:Welcome Paulus. I don't recognize the name, but did you participate in the messing-about forum before? Lots of Weekender builders do.

Pretty boat, in spite of the fact that none of us particularly agree on just what makes a boat a classic I think most if not all will welcome pictures of yours. ;>)
Nah - never was active on any forums until I bought the Catalina - I participated on "the list" which was more of an email exchange... The Seaward had (has) quite an active forum on Trailersailer.com
Balance wrote: A+ so far!
Thanks Nan!
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

She's a honey! I have a Fuji 32 which is a sister ship to yours. I think we bumped into each other on the Mariner Forum last year attempting to get some Fuji and Mariners together for some sort of rendezvous. Post some more pics!
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

And, uh, how's the rudder?
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Tim Mertinooke wrote:She's a honey! I have a Fuji 32 which is a sister ship to yours. I think we bumped into each other on the Mariner Forum last year attempting to get some Fuji and Mariners together for some sort of rendezvous. Post some more pics!
I do recall - on my way from Maine to NJ we were going to see who would be willing and able to "gather" I believe in the Mistic area?

Some more pictures...

Preparing for the big trip

Another shot of her in Castine - at the fuel dock.

Free floating dock (pre season) in Booth Bay, ME

In the town of Buzzard's Bay - the only boat with 'sticks", hehe..

On our way to Newport, RI

Autopilot working flawlessly

Another shot of the mizzen staysail flying

Cockpit shot

The dink - refinished...

My son's boat - I believe she also qualifies as a "classis Plastic"
Last edited by Paulus on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

BALANCE wrote:And, uh, how's the rudder?
Bare and waiting for some more TLC - will take pics next time I am at the boat.

You on the dry too?
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

I am not sure if I saw it correctly, but it looked like your mizzen staysail was attached to the after end of the mizzen boom in a fixed way. You do want it attached there but it should have a sheet so you can change the angle of the sail relative to the mizzen sail. It looked like it was back winding the mizzen. A block shackled fairly to the mizzen sheet connection would let you control the sail with more finesse than just moving the boom. Great looking boat and having four sails set fore and aft sure makes a pretty picture. my old rig:

robert
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Robert The Gray wrote:I am not sure if I saw it correctly, but it looked like your mizzen staysail was attached to the after end of the mizzen boom in a fixed way. You do want it attached there but it should have a sheet so you can change the angle of the sail relative to the mizzen sail. It looked like it was back winding the mizzen. A block shackled fairly to the mizzen sheet connection would let you control the sail with more finesse than just moving the boom. Great looking boat and having four sails set fore and aft sure makes a pretty picture.
robert
The staysail has a single sheet that runs through a designated wood block at the end (bottom) of the mizzen - seen unoccupied in this pic below:

The steel tackline on Guillemot attaches to the base of the mast... - in your pictures it seems the tack of the staysail is much further to windward?

As regards "all sail" - on Guillemot this adds up to 5, Believe it or not - she's a cutter rigged ketch, though usually I have the inner forestay stored off to the side.

In this pic you can see the forestay and pelican connector tied to the fender bar just behind the starboard cowl.

I have flown all canvass once - on a slow, drifty day in August - but since I singlehand I felt quite vulnerable and short-handed, so once it was all up, the pressure mounted fairly quick to get it all back down.... too bad no-one was around to take a picture - it must have been a sweet sight.
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Somehow the links to the pictures failed... I have edited the posts above with fresh links...

Bonus pic of the worm gear steering and autopilot disc...

Interior

New York as seen from behind Governor's Island...

Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Welcome and HECK YEAH that's classic!!!!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Nice Blog, Ric...
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

Hi Paulus, great boat! And nice shots too of your trip down the coast. I thought the same as Robert on your mizzen staysail. They're a little tricky to rig(mine was at first) and trim. It looks to me like you have the clew and tack switched. But it doesn't make sense that the sheet would be wire either.

Anyway, here's how mine fits with the tack tied to one of two pad eyes on each side of the mast (it goes on the windward eye) and then a long sheet reeves through the end bale on the mizzen boom, and back to a cleat. Image

Very pretty boat, I'm sorry you took her out of Maine.