Return of the J Boat

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Return of the J Boat

Post by Stubrow »

J Boat 'Lionheart'
J Boat 'Lionheart'
Meaning the J Class sloops of the 1930's (Universal Rule).
One industry that is booming, despite economic conditions: The building of J boats.
They ran out of existing hulls to restore (Shamrock, Endeavor, Valsheeda) Then they started to recreate ones that had been scrapped long ago. (Ranger, and now, most recently, Yankee)
But, for the super rich, the idea of owning your own unique J boat is so irresistable, that they are now building ones that really never existed, except on paper. The published brief on this one (called Lionheart) is a little confusing to me. But it sounds as though this may have been the design that Olin Stephens submitted for Ranger. At the time it was thought to be too radical; The one that was finally used was from Starling Burgess. So they are, in perenthesis, calling this 'Ranger II'.
rb
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Return of the J Boat

Post by Skipper599 »

... Beautiful looking boat ... but what it tells me is, N.America is fast becoming 3rd world in that there will soon be only the very rich, and the very poor. We seem to be moving rapidly in that direction.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Skipper599 wrote:... Beautiful looking boat ... but what it tells me is, N.America is fast becoming 3rd world in that there will soon be only the very rich, and the very poor. We seem to be moving rapidly in that direction.
Except that Lionheart was apparently designed in - and is being built in - The Netherlands, and not North America. (Hoek Design + Bloemsma’s + Claasen Jachtbouw.)

The nationality of the customer is not specified - only that it is a "repeat customer of Hoek Design." Construction management is being handled by someone in the USA.
Stubrow

Post by Stubrow »

Rachel wrote:
Skipper599 wrote:... Beautiful looking boat ... but what it tells me is, N.America is fast becoming 3rd world in that there will soon be only the very rich, and the very poor. We seem to be moving rapidly in that direction.
Except that Lionheart was apparently designed in - and is being built in - The Netherlands, and not North America. (Hoek Design + Bloemsma’s + Claasen Jachtbouw.)

The nationality of the customer is not specified - only that it is a "repeat customer of Hoek Design." Construction management is being handled by someone in the USA.
You're right. This is something (both Lionheart and Yankee) that is going on in the Netherlands.
And I had no intention of igniting any kind of political debate. But, for those of us who have an interest in sailboat racing history, it is an amazing phenomenon.
rb
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

And thank you for posting it :)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

NO political junk is allowed on this forum, not even innuendo or mild opinions. It ruins everything, always.

I'd delete the statements in the above post, except that it's been quoted and/or referenced in all the remaining posts so I'd really have to delete everything except the first post, which seems a shame since the other posts actually contain information.

Beautiful boat, as are all the J-class yachts of past and present. Why can't we just enjoy that?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Tim,

Thanks for having that rule.

I didn't find the above comments disagreeable, but I think it becomes a slippery slope once it creeps in....we don't need a "Bilge" here like some other places have.

This is likely one of the most friendly, useful and informative places on the net and it is very much due to your oversight.

Thanks again for hosting this place!!!

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stubrow

Post by Stubrow »

Ric in Richmond wrote:Tim,

Thanks for having that rule.

I didn't find the above comments disagreeable, but I think it becomes a slippery slope once it creeps in....we don't need a "Bilge" here like some other places have.

This is likely one of the most friendly, useful and informative places on the net and it is very much due to your oversight.

Thanks again for hosting this place!!!

Ric
I second that compliment.
backstay trimmers
backstay trimmers
One of the most amazing thing about these boats (as they were sailed originally) is that they had NO standing backstay! A heavy air jibe must have been terrifying. And, for the most part, no winches, as we know them today. Everything was block and tackle. This is a picture from the original 'Yankee'. (A tie was not 'optional' when you were in charge of the running backstays)
They did have THESE devices. Since I'm far from being an expert on this subject, I have no idea what they were called or how they worked. It's possible that they were some kind of clutch, or maybe connected to something lead below.
As a person that has been clubbed and flayed using one of the old wire reel type halyard winches, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near one of these things!
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

... My sincere apologies to you Tim (and all others who make up this wonderful forum), for uttering the comment in the first place ... it was certainly not my intention to make a political comment ... but I guess it is (I didn't think first) ... I stand admonished and will stick to discussions pertaining to boats only. and refrain from such off-topic comments in future. ...
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Stubrow wrote:[And, for the most part, no winches, as we know them today...
They did have THESE devices. Since I'm far from being an expert on this subject, I have no idea what they were called or how they worked. It's possible that they were some kind of clutch, or maybe connected to something lead below.
I've heard of "coffee-grinder" winches (although I don't know what they are), and those do look like old coffee grinders, don't they?
coffee grinder.jpg
coffee grinder.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
No backstay!?! I had no idea! Wow. I can't imagine that. I guess no-one's taking those out single-handed. Funny, but when I looked at that last photo, something looked really "open" about it, but it didn't immediately register on me what it was.

Really interesting, Randy.

Rachel
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Well that explains it. I was looking through some vintage boat pics and puzzled over a similar appearing and vintage boat who's boom stuck about 8' past the aft end of the boat. I was confused on how it would tack. Obviously, the boom would hit any back stay. Duh! It didn't have a back stay.

So how did that affect mast stability, tuning?

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.