A 1959 Bill Tripp design.

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

A 1959 Bill Tripp design.

Post by Tom Young »

For sale right now in Rockport Maine. A successful racer. Image
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: A 1959 Bill Tripp design.

Post by Rachel »

Those Rockport Marine buildings sure make a nice background in your photo, Tom (of course the boats don't hurt either!).

Here's one from the ad (really do have to show the transom too):

The funny thing is that I really like red boats, but they have some earlier photos of her in red and.... I like the white better.
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Post by cantstopnow »

That sure is pertyyy
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Pretty darn sweet. Rachel do you have a link to the add? I would enjoy seeing more photos.

No shortage of nice boats on the Rockport Marine site.

Oops, almost forgot the transom shot.

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Here it is:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1959/Tr ... ted-States

Just in case there is any link problem (Yachtworld server seems a bit funny right now), you can find it under "1959 Tripp sloop" - it's 32'

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

She certainly is gorgeous!

One nagging question is the way that the listing reads 'Bill Tripp Sr.' There are/have been at least three Bill Tripps in the business. The grandfather designed lovely wood boats in the 40's and 50's. The father, beloved by many Classic Plastic owners, no doubt started in wood but soon made his name for the first big FRP boats, like the Block Island 40, Hinckley Bermuda 40, the original versions of the 'glass LeComtes, the Javelin, the Seafarers. He died in a traffic accident at age 57, having continued his carreer with the Columbias. This Time Magazine article does not reference the grandfather (but I'm reasonably sure I've read it somewhere): http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 92,00.html The current Bill Tripp has been designing rather angular raceboats in Ct.: http://www.trippdesign.net/#/home .
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of the fact that "our" (plastic classic) Bill Tripp, Bill Tripp, Jr., had a father (Sr.) who was also a designer (not that I have looked into it at all, mind you). I do often see Bill Tripp, Jr. referred to as "Bill Tripp, Sr," I suppose because his son is also a boat designer (he must be Bill Tripp III, technically?).

My guess would be that this was Bill Tripp, Jr.

Rachel
BS Smith
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: #82
Boat Type: LeComte NE38

Family tree

Post by BS Smith »

Not sure how far back this boat family tree goes. Looked at many net occurrences of “Bill Tripp Sr” but the man referenced actually is Bill Jr. Ted Jones’ lengthy article on Bill Jr in Professional Boatbuilder and GOB makes no mention of Bill Sr being a boat designer, a strange omission if he in fact was one. The current Bill identifies himself as William H Tripp III on his website, and while giving tribute to his dad, makes no mention of his grandfather, again surprising omission if he is a third generation designer. Small clarification—according to the Jones article, Bill Jr was taken out by a drunk driver at 51.

And as result of this poking around, learned Quetzal’s Doug has assumed responsibility for the LeComte owners website. Many thanks, Doug!

BS