Pearson Commander #155 - Restoration & adventures' pic page

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Rico
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Mephisto Cat
Boat Type: Pearson Commander

Pearson Commander #155 - Restoration & adventures' pic page

Post by Rico »

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while here but had never posted. This is a great site!

I thought I'd share the link to my Commander's page over on the Pearson Ariel/Commander association's website.

Here is the link:
http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/ ... php?t=1552

The page is continously updated, and it already has quite a few pictures of the restoration process already (with more coming soon!). There are also some pictures of a number of sailing adventures -which are, in large part, what has kept me from posting the rest of the restoration work pictures!

One of those adventures included is a +/-700 mile passage from Ensenada (Mexico) to San Francisco, CA in late 2008.

Included are also some drawings, charts, designs, etc, and a few random bits & tricks that may help someone in their restoration process.

Going forward I'll also post some updates here.
Attachments
DSC_0018[1]_crMc SM.jpg
Last edited by Rico on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Re: Pearson Commander #155 - Restoration & adventures' pic page

Post by cantstopnow »

Welcome and thanks for posting. You have done a beautiful job with your boat.
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'd like to extend another welcome :)

I've done the opposite; been posting here for a number of years while lurking on the Ariel forum. You've done a beautiful job on your boat. Glad to have you here!

Rachel
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

WOW! You have the only new Commander on the planet. AND you both restore and sail. Just wonderful photos--what an inspiration to someone like me who is trying to figure out how to just do a bit of painting. Geez!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Rico
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by Rico »

Ahhh...

After the VERY wet rainy season, finally some sunny sailing!

We went to Sausalito and spent a great night there. And then had a great sail on Sunday...

I've completed my full conversion to LED lights in the Original Pearson fittings. I've done the Port/ stbd lights, the Masthead and the interior lights. Only the stern light remains since I broke my glass globe. I do have a replacement now...

Pending projects include a Stainless plate on the transom (for the Outboard in the Lazarette) and the installation of long genoa tracks on the rail.
Rico
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Re: Pearson Commander #155 - Restoration & adventures' pic p

Post by Rico »

I am very sad to say that I am putting my boat up for sale. I am moving to the East coast where I will not be quite close to the water to make use of her...

My boat is a Carl Alberg-Designed yacht known as 'Mephisto Cat'. She was built sometime late in early 1965 by Pearson Yachts of Bristol Rhode Island.

She is a model known as the 'Commander'. She is Hull number 155. The 'Commander' is 26' LOA and 8' Beam. It has the best 9' long cockpit on any boat, which is ideal for sailing with friends in SF Bay. There is an active association with very knowledgeable members. There is even an annual class regatta held every year. These boats also participate in a number of races around the bay and there are some meet-up and cruise opportunities. Look up the "Alberg Design fleet of San Francisco" and the 'Pearson Ariel / Commander Association" (You can find my boat's Gallery & adventures page by googling 'Pearson Commander Mephisto Cat' - it is on the Pearson ariel Association website...)

"Carl Alberg was born in Gothenburg, Sweden in 1900 and he grew up to become one of the legendary yacht designers of the 20th century. He drew some of the most beautiful lines for the many (now 'classic') Yachts he called his own. He always maintained his preference for the traditional Scandinavian style of narrow beams and generous overhangs.
(Think a roomy Alerion or Folkboat...)

This boat has 4ea 6'-3+ berths and sails wonderfully. It is perfect for a long weekend overnight at anchor, or on a mooring. It loves a stiff breeze which makes it perfect for SF Bay.

Carl Alberg owned a Commander as his personal yacht. He kept his hull #302 in Marblehead Harbor, Massachusetts, and belonged to the Boston Yacht Club, where he served as an officer on several occasions. Hull #302 was named after his wife, "Alma". (One of the launches at the Boston Yacht Club is named "Alma" today, in the Alberg's memory.) Mr. Alberg sold his Commander to his friend and fellow club member, Mr. Gene Collard in 1974.

The Mephisto cat has undergone a thouroughly complete restoration (2008) and many upgrades since I acquired her. All of the work was performed by myself & one of my trusty crewmembers. At the 'Gallery & adventures page' described above, you will find a details of all the work done on the Mephisto Cat, and also some tall tales of Sailing adventures by her and her salty crew.

A brief summary of the work:
- All new Gel Coat inside & out. This boat is not painted. This is a nice thick, solid coat of Gelcoat which makes this boat look & feel as brand new from the factory. It is squeaky clean Inside & out.
- All joints & windows were gone over to eliminate any sort of leaks. This boat has a dry bilge even after a vigurous sail in the bay!
- Every bit of hardware & fastener is new. This includes the stainless Chainplates, Aluminum Mast base, standing & running rigging, clutches, sailtrack fasteners, all sailing hardware, etc.
- Structural upgrades were undertaken including chainplate knee reinforcement - not that it was needed, but I do take her offshore... I've done my bit of professional off-shore-rig & naval vessel design so this was a lot of fun for me... I also had a hand in designing the trailer.
- All new teak bright-work. Inside & out. Coambings are original -- but in amazing & excellent shape. Each coambing is made from a 14" x 10' plank of ¾" Teak. . . Try pricing those today!
- The mast was acid-etched, primed & beautifully painted.
- I made a navigation table with an inlaid map.
- Brand new cushions all around.
- All LED lighting in the original chrome brass fittings.
- All original brass fittings professionally re-plated.
- Motor Propulsion is via an outboard that is hidden in the lazarette which puts it out of view, and avoids the wet / oily bilge that typically comes with an inboard. Maintenance is a breeze.

Motor & motor stand is included.

Sail inventory:

100% Jib (1 New, 1 almost new)
Main (1 New, 1 Very good Condition)
135% jib (Very good condition)
180% Jib (Like new)
Storm jib (Good condition)
Spinnaker (Only used a few times -- no rips/ repairs)

The trailer:
(Boat pictured with trailer is a 'Sistership')
The trailer is all steel galvanized with sealed wiring, and flush-equipped brakes for safe dipping in salt water. It is also equipped with an extra axle at the front end. The intent of this additional axle is to be able to launch the boat from the beach... or a deep ramp. Hopefully somewhere in the gulf of California (Sea of Cortez for sailing down in Baja!) where there might not be a lift or an appropriate ramp available.

I have not used it in this manner yet... I've never dipped it in salt water as I've managed to find a travelift everytime I needed one...

I designed my trailer built with bunks for more gentle support while launching, recovering & towing.

For complete details & pictures of the work (& some great adventures) please google: 'Pearson Commander Mephisto Cat'; you'll see why even thinking of selling this boat is painful for me!!

Please shoot me an e-mail with your number - I'll be happy to give you a ring.

Cheers!