A long time coming

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Gordon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Amnesty
Boat Type: 45' custom Roberts design

A long time coming

Post by Gordon »

Well, splashdown went well! the waterline was even right on the $$ (lucky shot) I've been working towards this day for over 6 years and dreaming of it a lot longer. Think this wasn't an emotional day? Try building a boat, then being diagnosed with a cancer and nearly giving up; Now the boat is in and the cancer is on its way out!! We will be doing a benefit for cancer awareness, a circumnavigation with a fleet of cancer survivors.
Attachments
bob 006.JPG
launch day 339.JPG
launch day 294.JPG
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: A long time coming

Post by Chris Campbell »

Congratulations!

What an accomplishment. I really can't imagine how it feels, but I certainly can feel happy for you myself and wish you the absolute best, no holds barred!

What design is your boat? How did you build her? How did you get it done so fast? Seems like many people who set out to build a boat end up finishing 20 years down the road - if ever. You've obviously had the bit between your teeth and kept at her steadily.

Fantastic!

May the winds and seas treat you well along your way.

Cheers,

Chris
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Cheers dude.

You did a great job on more than one front.

More pictures... More details. She is a big boat, how big? And there is a whole interior we haven't seen yet.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Congrats! You have certainly more than earned a nice beam reach with the helm in one hand and a good brew in the other. I'm looking forward as well to more info on that boat :)
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I can certainly imagine the dream you have turned into a reality, but doing it through the hardships you have experienced is beyond my comprehension. I hope your trip is all you have envisioned.

Yeah, more pictures would certainly be allowed here :)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Congratulations, Gordon!

Here's to many happy, healthy miles under your keel :)

LazyGuy, Gordon tells/shows a bit more about his boat in this thread:

http://plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopi ... =30&t=4240

Of course that's not to say you can't post more, Gordon; far be it from me to discourage photos.

Rachel
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Post by Stubrow »

Gordon-
Amazing achievement. Hopefully this will motivate me to get going on some of my own projects, though trivial in comparison.
Hats off to you. Maybe, when you get a chance, you can post some more photos.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by preserved_killick »

Gordon,

Glad you didn't give up! Boat looks great! If you can find the time, I'd love to hear more details on construction.

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Gordon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Amnesty
Boat Type: 45' custom Roberts design

Post by Gordon »

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement, Amnesty is a Bruce Roberts design, 45' and a 13' beam; draws 6' and displaces approx 49,000 lbs. I built her in my front yard, although I didn't throw the hull this is a pretty unique boat. I have had a lot of encouragement with this project since I was diagnosed, a lot of people have helped out with parts, labor, and some private funding (as I haven't worked for some time) Now the Victory Lap is a go! This boat is going a lot of places and my crew both on board and on land are helping to make things better for a lot of people, I have a web site but not selling anything there but not sure how to post it without violating Tim's guidelines so for now let's just say you will hear more about Amnesty & me.

Fair winds