Calliope Girl

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
mdidriksen
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Calliope Girl
Boat Type: 1971 S&S 34

Calliope Girl

Post by mdidriksen »

As some of you may remember, a while back I started a post looking for advice regarding window styles for my S&S 34 (see http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3934). Well, she is now back in the water after a major re-fit, so I thought I would share a couple of photos as a way of saying thanks for the advice. As it turned out, we blew out the budget on other issues (new engine, painted the deck, recored the foredeck, new cap rails, etc., etc.), so we ended up just cleaning up the old cutouts from the portlights that had been installed, and turning them into fixed windows. I'm actually pleased with the look, although it would have been nice to tweak the shape a little. Compared to the way she looked last fall when I bought her (see prior thread for pics), it is like night and day.

Cheers,

MD

One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: Calliope Girl

Post by One Way David »

MD, I went back to the post you linked to. You had 9 posts credited, and you have 9 posts credited today. Whats with that? Also I didn't see any links for the pics. Is it my computer? Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

One Way David wrote:MD, I went back to the post you linked to. You had 9 posts credited, and you have 9 posts credited today. Whats with that? .
The post count updates on everyone's older posts; that information is not "frozen in time" at the time the post was made, but continually changes as each user makes additional posts.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Thanks for the pictures, she looks great.

Bill

Also, nice slip neighbor you have there.
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Post by cdawgs65 »

Newport, across from the lobster company?
mdidriksen
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Calliope Girl
Boat Type: 1971 S&S 34

Post by mdidriksen »

Wow, good spotting by Cdawgs65! Yes, that is Bannister's Wharf in Newport, and no, that is not my usual slip (I'm on a mooring actually). My father and I spent 4 days bringing the boat from Marion, MA down to the NYC area, and the first night we stopped in Newport.

I particularly liked that little boat next to us as well. Don't know what she is, but certainly very pretty.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

GREAT restoration job!!!

Looks like an Alerion--a reproduction of Nat Herreshoff's design. Rumery's and others make some lovely reproduction.

Of course, at Newport, it could be an ORIGINAL Herreshoff.

Anyone know the boat for certain?
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

I do know what that pretty boat is....it's an LS26, built by the Landing School. It is cold molded, with traditional topsides but a fin keel and spade rudder. About 20 were built total. I sailed on one when I was at the Landing School and they are quite nice to sail. (I did yacht design not boat building so I didn't build one, but I watched them being built and we did a lot of homework assignments using the LS's lines plan). She was designed by Ken Rusinek and the aesthetic model is the Alerion type of boat.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Wow!

Beautiful boat and the price beats the available Alerions (a "cheap one" is $123,000). Here's an LS 26 for sale for $37,000.

http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/lis ... 6-93403853

Quite a lovely boat--and cold molded, so it will last!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT