Question of interest.

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Question of interest.

Post by Skipper599 »

... A couple of days ago, I posed a question to Tim in the 'Forum News and Question' section regarding posting of pics of the 2008 Port Townsend Wooden boat Festival. He's probably too busy to have seen it yet, so I'll put it to you folk.

... Would you be interested in viewing these pics? If so, is this 'Boat Photos' forum where I should post them? The pics are of various privately owned sailing vessels displayed at the festival, and all taken by yours truly. I have taken out no 'copyright' so if you wish to copy or print them, be my guest. Some of them are truly great pics. ... ... Bob T.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I would love to see them! I don't think they cause "bandwidth" issues since you will have them hosted elsewhere (?)

I would suggest putting them all in their own single new topic, called something like "Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival" (original, aren't I?).

Since "Boat Photos" is described as photos of "your boat," I would perhaps suggest either "Classic Sailboats," or, if there are non-sailboats included, maybe "Ramblings"? You're nearly always safe with the latter.

Rachel
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Rachel wrote:I would love to see them! I don't think they cause "bandwidth" issues since you will have them hosted elsewhere (?)

I would suggest putting them all in their own single new topic, called something like "Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival" (original, aren't I?).

Since "Boat Photos" is described as photos of "your boat," I would perhaps suggest either "Classic Sailboats," or, if there are non-sailboats included, maybe "Ramblings"? You're nearly always safe with the latter.

Rachel
... Thanks Rachel, will do. Probably over the weekend.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Neat! That is one show I've always wanted to go to.

R.
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Rachel wrote:Neat! That is one show I've always wanted to go to.

R.
Me too. And I live too close to Port Townsend to have any excuses. Maybe this year.

You might also add the year to your post title. That way when you post next years photos we won't get confused :).

Cheers and thanks, Bill
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Bluenose wrote: You might also add the year to your post title. That way when you post next years photos we won't get confused :).
I'll be confused anyway, but probably a good idea.

Please do post these pictures. I will look at them too.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Just a suggestion from one who has a gazillion Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival pics: Put them in a Picasa album and supply a link.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Peter wrote:Just a suggestion from one who has a gazillion Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival pics: Put them in a Picasa album and supply a link.

Peter,

When you go do you sail over? If so, where do you like to anchor?

Bill
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Peter wrote:Just a suggestion from one who has a gazillion Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival pics: Put them in a Picasa album and supply a link.
... This sounds like great idea Peter, I'll give it a try.
... I've never tried anything like this before so I hope it's not too challenging a task. Computers and I do not get along too well.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Skipper599 wrote:... I've never tried anything like this before so I hope it's not too challenging a task. Computers and I do not get along too well.
Thankfully it seems that computers and websites are getting easier just a tad quicker than I'm getting older and more stubborn ;) I can't speak for Picasa, but I opened a free Flickr account just so that I could post photos here, and it hasn't been half bad!

I like the "link to an outside album" idea. Good one! Then we can look at a collection of thumbnail-sized photos and click to enlarge the ones we want to (in case anyone is on dial-up).

Some of the free photo sites just inundate you with blinky flashy ads, but not all of them do that.I've heard very good things about Pbase for people who don't mind paying $30 per year or so for photo hosting.

Maybe we can have a Plastic Classic Forum meet-up next year :)

Rachel
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Bill wrote:When you go do you sail over? If so, where do you like to anchor?
I usually sail over, leaving on Friday, staying Friday and Saturday nights, and leaving early Sunday. I used to anchor right off the town, but lately I've been staying at Boat Haven Marina. I find strolling around their yard as interesting as the festival at the other end of town! Also, Port Townsend Brewery has an "Outlet Store" close by ;-)
There's a West Marine and a great food co-op near Boat Haven, and a real friendly cat on the docks.
If they don't have room (I've been lucky so far) there's lots of fair anchorage near the ferry docks, and a good beach to dinghy over to, although one year it blew up and two sailboats were washed ashore :-(
I use my little folding bike for the 10 minute ride to Point Hudson Marina, where the festival is.
Bob wrote:... This sounds like great idea Peter, I'll give it a try.
... I've never tried anything like this before so I hope it's not too challenging a task. Computers and I do not get along too well.
I find Picassa very easy to use. I also use their free Picasa 3 program to manage uploading the pictures. It's pretty painless, and when you have them uploaded it's a snap to rearrange them and add captions.
Rachel wrote:Some of the free photo sites just inundate you with blinky flashy ads, but not all of them do that.I've heard very good things about Pbase for people who don't mind paying $30 per year or so for photo hosting.
Not so with Picasa, and it's free. Father Google is being kind to us ... makes me wonder what the catch is!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Peter wrote:Not so with Picasa, and it's free. Father Google is being kind to us ... makes me wonder what the catch is!
The catch is... Google follows you around and use what they learned to optimize ad serving for you. Its a catch that cuts both way. I get better ads that actually is what I am looking for but on the other hand... a little creeped out about Google knowing so much about me.

Data mining is big bucks, even more so in the future - especially so with the coming age of smartphones. Most people will experience the internet for the first time thru the mobile phone. We're in the twilight of the generic ad age now, ads will be much more tailored to each individual.

Its great news since I can advertise my business better & more cheaply but on the other hand, there are pitfalls with such information that could be abused for bad reasons.

- Case
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The double-edged sword that is the Internet.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating