Passage 24 a-building.

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Passage 24 a-building.

Post by Skipper599 »

Below is a genuine Falmouth work-boat. The type that inspired Tom Gillmer to design his famous 'Blue Moon'.

The photo was taken last year at Falmouth, England, by my brother-in-law.

The following pics are my Passage 24 under construction in my driveway.
First the pointy end followed by the blunt end. Take note of Hvy. Dty. rudder fittings. All SS fittings home built, except the actual welding.
As was the bronze tail shaft support. (I'm sure it has a proper name).
The two SS studs above it are for Zincs.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

This little gem is a Bimmer D12 Diesel Single Cyl. 12HP.

Image Image Image

I was going to post more but, photo-bucket is down for maintenance. Maybe tomorrow.
Please feel free to comment on anything you see that you feel is not kosher. Bob T.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Great pictures, Bob. Nice work. And yes, More pictures please !!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

She looks lovely! What a lot of work you've done. Have you built her from scratch? Hull, deck and all? Remarkable.

I'll happily/eagerly second the cry for more pictures and descriptions!
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Chris Campbell wrote:She looks lovely! What a lot of work you've done. Have you built her from scratch? Hull, deck and all? Remarkable.

I'll happily/eagerly second the cry for more pictures and descriptions!
... Applause is always appreciated Chris, and thanks for yours. The hull and deck assembly was purchased as a unit, complete with lead ballast installed and encapsulated.

... Actually, there's a bit of a story here. I had seen ads for this boat in the local 'Pacific Yachting' magazine for some time. The lines looked fairly traditional, which I think is what many of us appreciate in a boat. It was the price that held me back.

... Arriving home from a business trip many years ago, I found an ad in the Vancouver Sun for one of these boats and, the price was right ... for me.
... Apparently a local fellow had bought the 'kit' from the manufacturer and placed it in his back yard ... while his wife was on a visit to Greece ... their original homeland.
... When she returned and saw the boat, it would appear she gave an ultimatum "It's either me or the boat" ... so the boat was put on the market and I happened to see it that same day. I called to ascertain its status and found it was still available.
... I went prepared ... Cheque book in hand and a Boat Hauler following. ... A deal was struck, the boat was moved immediately to my home ... leaving no chance for a change of heart or mind.
... Sadly, for Oscar the Greek ... I heard she left him anyway ... which tells me the boat was not a factor in the outcome or, the true reason for her eventual decision to move on.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

She looks good Bob. More pictures please.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

In the confines of a small cruising boat, I saw the need for a door that would open and close, even when something or someone would be obstructing the area. This is the (wet locker) 'Folding Door' ... similar to a bi-fold, but not quite the same. It doesn't run on a track, and it truly is ... out of the way when open, or half open.
I had fun making the louvered vents too. I didn't realise what all one needs consider in making these things.

Image Image Image

This is my effort at a 'Hide-a-way Vanity. I plan to install the head in front of this vanity, hence the need to retract into the cupboard. Having seen how one of you folk built your own holding tank in behind the head, I'm now thinking I might be able to do likewise, but in the lower part of the cupboard. There is a fair space in there, but I wonder if it's big enough?

Image Image Image

A shot of the forward vee-berth area. The ceiling in this boat is all 'Export Grade' yellow cedar T&G. There are a few other places I used yellow cedar eg: bunk & forward hatch trim edges, but all the rest is teak. Oh yes, the forward hatch is hinged both fore and aft, enabling me to open it in either direction according to the wind direction when at anchor.
The four bolt heads seen on the chain locker bulkhead are attached through two Samson Posts seen on the Fwd deck.

Image Image

A shot of my own idea for corner joinery to lock the four facia boards in place. Also, you can just see the tang of one of the forward hatch hinges through the opening.
Image Image

Here's a shot of the galley area ... still in the evolution stage. Looking aft of this you'll see a quarter berth right against the outer hull-side, with a twin seat inboard. Although it looks small, I've tried it and it will be quite comfortable when I get cushions made. The seat is the right length to sit with feet up, facing fwd, and my back against the storage cabinet seen at the far end, the face of which is the correct angle for backrest comfort.

Image Image

Across from the galley is more storage and a regular Coleman Ice-box, with a small top access lid. It is in its own insulated cabinet. The idea being: Fill the ice-box at home (no ice), leaving it open and in the freezer. When going off on a cruise, it's the last thing to be loaded into the Wagon, and the first thing stowed aboard. It stays frozen for at least a week, depending on usage. We did this on our Shark. No refrigeration req'd.

ImageImageImage

Hatches ... Fwd Hatch and Main Hatch w/Turtle. The hinges can be seen on the aft side of the fwd hatch in the middle pic, and the aft side in the lower pic. ... Drop boards are 7/8" thick, and window is bullet proof Lexan ... not that I expect anyone to shoot at me, it's more to prevent breakage by vandals. But if they intend on breaking in, there's little one can do to prevent that from happening.

Image Image Image

Cockpit seats teak'd for safety and eye candy. Also warmer to sit on than cold F/g. Of course, there will be cushions. The right side pic is the starboard deck, all looking pretty. Coaming caps installede but not completed yet. A Teak grid is under construction for the cockpit sole.
The wood square under the main hatch is a temporary covering of the opening for the Compass.

Image Image Image

This needs no explanation at all, Decks ... and a manual windlass. There's a little short chain pipe under the gipsy that I was unable to locate in a marine catalogue. I was quoted almost $200 to have it made. A couple of hours labour, a good hacksaw, and I had it made from scrap pieces of 316 found in my shop, plus a 6 pack to get the tube and flange plate welded. ... I still have to install the Hawse pipes in the gun'ls.
Ok I cheated here, I got a professional to install the decking. Mainly because I had neither the equipment, nor the expertise. And Teak is too darned expensive to be making mistakes in a learning process. Besides which, have you ever worked with that black Boatlife stuff? ... Wow! it just gets everywhere, the minute you open it.
The Windlass is mounted on a 'Tufnol' plate, because that is what the deck installer advised ... to prevent crush. It has yet to have Boatlife caulk seal applied.
It's my intention to simply wash the deck with salt water, allowing it to weather to a natural silver-grey colour.

ImageImageImage

Please feel free to critique any and everything you see in any of these photos.
As a rank amateur, I'll certainly appreciate your comments and opinions, ... good, bad or otherwise. Don't be shy.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Wow, Bob. I'm agog.

Speechless, too.

Rachel
David

Post by David »

Beautiful work! I love the covering boards. Can you tell us more about the box under the companionway? Propane? What wood did you use for the ceilings and the overhead--I like the contrast? I'd love to know more details about the cooler, and also how you plan to heat the boat...

<<It's my intention to simply wash the deck with salt water, allowing it to weather to a natural silver-grey colour. >>

I asked Lin Pardy how they kept their decks and exterior teak so blond and nice looking and she said they simply wash it with dish washing soap--Joy if I remember right--and rinse with sea water.

David
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

MOST EXCELLENT. Good on yer, mate!
Shark
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Like Rachel said! Wow. That's an amazing job your doing.

I liked the "Shark ice box" solution. It's what I do too.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Bob wrote:As a rank amateur........
If you say so .... but your workmanship shouts "Very Professional" !
You must have spent a lot of time on design. She looks super, and completely functional. Any idea when launch day will be?
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Thank you Rachel, I'll accept that as a compliment.
... And David, the box you refer to ... I needed a step to access the main companionway. It evolved into a 'Rope' locker, in which to throw the main-sheet, and any other sheets, rather than have them laying around the cockpit. ... You may be able to see the slots at the ends of the hinged lid to accommodate them. ... The front of that box is loosely installed in aluminum channel stock. This, to allow removal when I have a need to access the hatch in the cockpit sole. Also, there is bottom clearance for water flow to two cockpit drains in the forward corners.
... The 'covering boards' are I believe, called the 'Ceiling' whether they be overhead, or on the hull itself (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). As per comment above pic of the Vee berth, all ceilings are Export Grade T&G Yellow Cedar. Perfectly clear, straight grain material.
... Another story here: I've actually finished the interior of this boat twice previously. Originally, I used much wider T&G running it parallel to the waterline. When completed, it just didn't look right so, out it came again ... as firewood kindling.
... I replaced it with the narrower T&G you see in the pic but this time, running it parallel to the sheer. Unfortunately, this material was not export grade. I complained to the supplier it was badly discoloured with grey patches and streaks. His reply? ... Don't worry, it will give your boat 'Character' ... well, there was simply too much character for me. Result? ...You guessed it. More kindling.
... Lesson learned twice. If it doesn't look right, rip it out and do it again, no matter how painful it might be to do so.
... Anyway, I was told that every so often, the company purchasing export material for Japan, frequently would reject a lift of material just to keep them honest. ... I slipped a 20 to the guy in the yard to call me next time this happened. He did, and I was able to purchase all the material now installed in my boat. ... Costly, but worth it to me in satisfaction alone. It's beautiful wood. Easy to work, sands 'glass' smooth and takes a nice oil finish. Also, like teak, has its own oil making it resistant to rot.
... Dish soap to wash the deck eh? Hmmmmmmmmm ... Thinks! ... Crew responsibility? LOL ... Somehow, I don't think she'll go for it. LOL ... But I'll keep that tip in mind.
... Heating will be by way of a Dickenson propane heater on the forward bulkhead. Also, I have a single burner propane stove and a propane Sea-B-que will be on the aft push-pit rail. I suspect the propane tanks will be located on the Boomkin ... providing there's room.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

David

Post by David »

Nicely done!. The cedar is a nice contrast to the teak. I wish it were easier to get it in the south. I'm planning on ash instead but i don't especially like the "big grain" of ash for a ceiling.

The covering boards I referred to are the boards atop your winch islands.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

David wrote:Nicely done!. The cedar is a nice contrast to the teak. I wish it were easier to get it in the south. I'm planning on ash instead but i don't especially like the "big grain" of ash for a ceiling.

The covering boards I referred to are the boards atop your winch islands.
... David ... Those caps are 1" solid teak. ALL exterior wood is heavy teak. The deck Teak is 7/16" thick.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Bob,

I absolutely meant it as a compliment. There are just so many good ideas, and so many things well-executed, that I couldn't get down to specifics without going into about 500 of them :)

Everything from the the "lean back" spot, to the cooler, to... yep, agog. And I haven't even really studied photos yet!

If I try really hard to be picky, my inner bronze-fiend wonders why you chose stainless for the underwater hardware, but then I'll admit I'm terribly biased.

Major points for chiming right back in with the photos, too :)

Rachel
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

WOW!

As we sometimes say here in Maine, that is the kind of boat the Good Lord would have, if he could afford it.

You should be extremely proud.

As for Oscar the Greek, he must have been crazy to let her go, but then again I am sure she did not look anything like this when you first got her.

I too am curious why you selected stainless rather than bronze for use under water?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
David

Post by David »

So Bob: On the ice cooler, it appears you have glued the top of the cooler (or part of the top) to the underside of the flush hatch in what looks like a counter that gives double duty as a chart table. Does the cooler drop in or does the whole counter top lift off to access the cooler? Inquiring minds want to know....

Or, could the front panel hinge open for the cooler??

David
David

Post by David »

I also like the way you tied the vertical support post into the seatee partition by straddling it and taking the two sides down to the sole. Very nicely integrated.
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Bob,

Wow, I am definitely drooling...

Two features caught my attention more than others:

1. BMW 12D - why did you choose it? I have consider it as a repower option for my Atomic 4 (it is what Dan Spurr did with his Pearson Triton). But parts are hard to come by. Looks like you found a new one, correct?

2. Folding sink - what a great feature on a small cruising sailboat! I have not seen anyone put them in recently but read them in several classic books (think Hiscock, Ferenc Mate, Donald Street all mentioned them in their books). Could you please post more pictures how the drainage works?

Great job! Please post more picture when you have a chance.

Best regards,

Ray
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Rachel and JonnyBoats ... you both raised the same question re: underwater metal. ... My excuse is, this happened early on in my 'on-the-job apprenticeship' ... I guess if the brutal truth be known, I had not done sufficient studying of the books, and therefore, I didn't give it proper consideration at the time. ... That's not my only 'mistake' ... I doubt there's a great difference in price, so I won't use that as an excuse.

... Were I to do it again (but I won't), I guess Bronze would have been the better choice. What's more, I could have had a 'shoe' at the base of the keel instead of the gudgeon type fitting I ended up with.

... Another place I would like to see 'Bronze' is the eight ports in the deck house. Some years ago, I placed a $500 down payment with a marine store in Vancouver for Bronze port lights ... they never materialized.
... I should have known something was amiss when the owner kept telling me they were still on back order. After about 6 months of this 'story' I stopped by his store to find a notice on the door: "IN RECEIVERSHIP" ... Shoot! that hurts ... I ended up with white plastic PYHI units.
... However, having seen the stains from the round Bronze ports down the side of the deck house on 'SASKIE' (the dark blue Passage 24 Peter provided a LINK for in 'Ramblings'), ... I'm just as glad I didn't install bronze.
... However, if I live long enough, I could be tempted to install some nice SS ports. ... I spoke to a salesman at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival last October. He told me his company could pull all those plastic ports and have SS units installed in an afternoon ... Ahhhhh! ... if only those GM stocks were to regain their value of what they used to be 25 years ago .................... I could use 'em for wallpaper I suppose.

... David: My apologies sir, I've not explained myself well on the subject of "The 'Ice Box' cooler unit".
... What I've done David is, to build a cabinet of sufficient dimensions to accept a full lining of 1/2" Ethafoam, a closed cell insulation material, purchased by sq. ft. ... It has an unusually high R factor
... The Coleman Ice Box is, 'as purchased'. It simply slides into the insulated cabinet, complete. ... Access to contents is made through the small 'hatch' in the main chest lid. If you look at the pic, you'll see I've created an access panel in the counter top, to get to the previously mentioned small 'hatch' of the Ice Box.
... Obviously, were I to put something too large for the small 'hatch' ... I would have to pull the Ice Box from the cabinet and remove the full size lid from the chest.
... As mentioned previously, we pack the ice box at home with food only, no ice. We then set the complete Ice Box in the Freezer ... preferably, at least overnight, and without its lid. The lid can be put in the freezer if you have room, otherwise, keep it handy to the freezer and, put it on immediately the Ice Box is removed from the Freezer and just prior to departing for the boat. This way, you're using the food content in the box as 'Ice' to keep it cool.
... Have I explained myself better, or made it more confusing?

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... David, i forgot to add, the front of the cabinet is a removable panel to allow the Icebox to be installed and removed.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Triton106 wrote:Bob,

Wow, I am definitely drooling...

Two features caught my attention more than others:

1. BMW 12D - why did you choose it? I have consider it as a repower option for my Atomic 4 (it is what Dan Spurr did with his Pearson Triton). But parts are hard to come by. Looks like you found a new one, correct?

2. Folding sink - what a great feature on a small cruising sailboat! I have not seen anyone put them in recently but read them in several classic books (think Hiscock, Ferenc Mate, Donald Street all mentioned them in their books). Could you please post more pictures how the drainage works?

Great job! Please post more picture when you have a chance.

Best regards,

Ray
... Ray ... Thanks for your comments. I bought the BMW D12 NEW some years ago. It has just been sitting in that boat waiting to go. It has never been started, but I do crank it over religiously by hand once a month. At the time of purchase, I also bought a major overhaul kit. All of this is in cool dark storage in my garage.
... Incidentally, the basic engine is made by HATZ, and was originally air-cooled. BMW took the crankcase and installed a water cooled cylinder etc ... so if its a basic engine part someone is seeking, they could try HATZ to see what might be available.
... The reason for my choice of the Bimmer was in some respect, a safety thing. If you're even vaguely familiar with that engine and its smaller sister the D7, they both employ an alternator integral with the Flywheel. This means no external rotating pulleys or belts. I didn't want to see my wife pulled into the engine house if she caught her PJ's in a fan belt.
... Apart from that, I was attracted to it because of an article I read: "Re-powering Ariana" ... was that Dan Spurr? ... Whoever it was, he made it sound all so simple. Apart from that, it's a simple, neat little power plant and, oh so clean in every respect.

... As for drainage of the vanity, and also the galley sink, I have yet to determine how to dispose of the water from either. I'm considering a 'grey water' tank, with the ability to dump it when far enough off shore or, pump-out at a marina. Has anyone else any ideas on this subject?

... I'm not a raving eco freak. I do believe we need to care for the environment. However, I honestly see no harm in dumping small amounts of waste off shore
... We use salt water for washing dishes, and rinse with fresh. I see no harm in anything in our grey water ... if anything, the material being washed off our dishes is edible food matter.
... The vanity is a little different, it would have traces of soap/shampoo, but that's all. I still believe it is relatively harmless to the environment.
... Human waste from the head ... have you ever seen what whales excrete in the ocean? LOL.
... IF you have a head on board, you are required to have a holding tank and pay to pump it out at a marine facility. ... Here's the stupidity of the law ... There is NO LAW requiring you install a 'Head' aboard your boat. (at least, not in my part of the world) ... the old Cedar Bucket and chuckit method is still used. (at least, it is in my part of the world). What say you folk? Has this subject been thrashed over on this forum before?
... The only reason for a 'Head' is 'politeness and privacy' ... I once had a 'loaded' diaper splatter itself across my windshield on the freeway. Now that was a load of crap, I can tell you. For a moment, I honestly believed pigs had learned to fly.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

dmairspotter wrote:MOST EXCELLENT. Good on yer, mate!
... Thanks mate, where's Casco Bay? ... by your greeting I presume Oz ... but what part? I have a fine relative down there in Queensland.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

On the treatment of liquid waste, all boats I've owned have dumped grey water immediately overboard, no treatment, no storage. I always use eco-friendly soaps, both at home and on the boat, since I don't see a need to use the chemically ones and just feel better about it when I use friendly ones. And certainly don't mind them flowing out into the ocean. I am very careful about what I put down the drain - basically nothing that I would need to worry about drinking, is my rule.

Heads are of course another story. In my part of the world (Nova Scotia) we have no laws and very few holding tanks - most heads go straight overboard, just like the sinks. I used to have no problem with that - just avoided using it in marinas or anywhere I wanted to swim - but now I'm a little more careful, and will likely install a holding tank. That said, you're absolutely right about what goes in there - boaters are not the worst of it by any means, and here in NS there aren't even that many boaters, and only for our short sailing season, even then. Still - given the poor state of our oceans, and the fact that human sewage causes things like algae blooms which deprive the waters of oxygen, etc., etc., I figure I ought to do my little bit, law or no law. Although I have to admit it will likely be next year - too much already on the plate this year.

But back to the more important subject - the work you've done on your boat really is first rate, she looks absolutely lovely. Do you have drawings of the interior design you can share? How long have you been working on her? I think it would take me many, many years to achieve what you have!

Cheers,

Chris
David

Post by David »

Bob,

Thanks for the details about the cooler. Sounds like a great idea and well executed. On the subject of your rudder hardware, I shouldn't think you will have any problems with the stainless considering the size of heft of it.

She is rigged as a cutter, right? For your ground tackle, will you carry an anchor roller(s) on your bowsprit?

David
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

David wrote:Bob,

Thanks for the details about the cooler. Sounds like a great idea and well executed. On the subject of your rudder hardware, I shouldn't think you will have any problems with the stainless considering the size of heft of it.

She is rigged as a cutter, right? For your ground tackle, will you carry an anchor roller(s) on your bowsprit?

David
... I can see you want to draw me into a discussion and the various opinions on anchors David ... I will simply say this: I've equipped my S.S. Bowsprit with twin rollers. I have a variety of anchors, each having qualities, capabilities and benefits designed for differing holding ground.
... eg: Main general usage anchor = Danforth. ... Severe weather holding = CQR. ... Clay bottom = a folding Spoonbill. ... Rocky bottom = folding Grapnel. ... And, for a Lunch Hook = 10lb Navy Anchor from CTC.
... General usage Rode is a combination i/2" braided rope and 25' of 1/4" BBB chain. Storm CQR will use 100' of BBB chain and 200' of 1/2" braided rope. Folding anchors both have 15' of BBB chain and rope combo. Lunch hook = rope only.
... If the weather worsens beyond the capabilities of these anchors, or a combination of same to hold the ground, I'll probably abandon ship LOL.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Chris Campbell wrote: But back to the more important subject - the work you've done on your boat really is first rate, she looks absolutely lovely. Do you have drawings of the interior design you can share? How long have you been working on her? I think it would take me many, many years to achieve what you have!
Cheers, Chris
... Thanks again for the compliment Chris, ... Unfortunately, there were no drawings at all for the interior furnishings. I studied many books on similar size/type of boats, also attended many boat shows and Festivals, getting ideas and owner comments on what worked for them, and what they would do differently if they were to "do it again" ... Generally speaking, my choice of layout was greatly influenced by Pardey's original "Serraffyn" because it is so close to the Passage 24 in physical dimensions.
... The layout is for a 'Sailing Vessel' as opposed to a 'Gin Palace' or party boat. If you want to hold a party for more than four in the cockpit, find someone with a much bigger boat, and BYOB. ... Remember: Small is affordable. BIG costs money.

... How long a-building? I normally evade answering this question ... I have 25 year old grandsons, who have never seen my driveway empty. That doesn't mean I've been working on it all that time. The first 5 years I didn't even look at it, because I knew I had to learn an awful lot of things and also create a workshop and gather tools and equipment.
... I frequently found myself too busy to work on it, and occasionally when I had time, I didn't have the 'discretionary funds' ... In the same period of time, I've rebuilt my house, as well as helping family with theirs. As well, my wife and I did a major landscaping job on our property. All these things take time and money.
... TRUTH ? ... It was a dumb idea. I should have done like you folk and bought a "Good Old Boat" and refurbished it. Building something like this was far more complicated than I ever imagined. But I've learned an awful lot of skills and knowledge that I probably would not have done otherwise.
... Advice: Recognise your limitations, and get professional assistance when you recognise you are 'out of your depth'.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

David

Post by David »

Bob,

I was more interested in the bowsprit, the rig, etc.

David
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

David wrote:Bob,

I was more interested in the bowsprit, the rig, etc.

David
... I'll take some pics later this weekend and post for you to see the set-up of the 'sprit David.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

David

Post by David »

Thanks! I'd love to see what you have done.

David
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

David wrote:Nicely done!. The cedar is a nice contrast to the teak. I wish it were easier to get it in the south. I'm planning on ash instead but i don't especially like the "big grain" of ash for a ceiling.
... David ... How much Yellow cedar would you require for your project?
... Would it be too costly to UPS it from here? I have quite a stash of it in my sons garage ... mostly 1" thick random width and length ... max 8" by 8' I believe (if I haven't used all the long ones), ... but mostly shorts. 4' - 6' ... let me know your requirements and I'll check the stack and see if I can accommodate you.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Re: Passage 24 a-building.

Post by Paulus »

Bump!