1967 Soverel 36R

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Trecksail
Bottom Paint Application Technician

1967 Soverel 36R

Post by Trecksail »

Oh well, I'll just re-post it.

I have been holding off posting pics of my "Wanderer" until I had her lookin prettier, but Rich's "Incedent" motivated me to go ahead and get started. Rich, I love the Soverel's. Built like tanks but IMHO, as good looking as boats get, and they sail with the best of em as well!
I found her abandoned in a yard in Racine, WI. I cleand her up and got her bottom in shape and sailed her for a couple years to make sure she was the gal for me. I did a few things here and there, but now she's sitting in the shed completely stripped down waiting for decent temps to get her deck and cabin top painted. Here's a couple of her sailing with some makeshift sails and the link below them to my photobucket site with some before-before pics and some just before's. The plan is to get some nice after pics up here in spring in all her glory.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Trecksail/Soverel/
"All men die, but very few men ever really live!

Have a great day!

Joe
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Re: 1967 Soverel 36R

Post by Richincident »

Hey Joe!

Your boat looks great--and the Wanderer will look even better after you do the work on her!

There are some great files on the care of a Soverel of that era at the Hoofer Sailing club. The files on "Spray," a Soverel 30 that was donated to the club are written in a highly opinionated and quite snarly style--and are a pleasure to read!

I am always hoping to learn more about Soverel and their boats, but we have gotten GREAT response on the early history of the company and its boats from Maynard Isabell, who was "There at the creation." He worked in the plant and loved to race boats, so he did a lot of the early racing that helped to form Soverel's image in the 60's and 70's. The early boats are all very strongly built, mostly with keel/centerboard designs, like mine and yours. They were intended for racing and sailing to the Bahamas.

Glad you are enjoying your 36! I am now envying your big cabin, though I don't know when I will ever do more than very short trip...

Thanks for posting the before pix!

I have been holding off posting pics of my "Wanderer" until I had her lookin prettier, but Rich's "Incedent" motivated me to go ahead and get started. Rich, I love the Soverel's. Built like tanks but IMHO, as good looking as boats get, and they sail with the best of em as well!
I found her abandoned in a yard in Racine, WI. I cleand her up and got her bottom in shape and sailed her for a couple years to make sure she was the gal for me. I did a few things here and there, but now she's sitting in the shed completely stripped down waiting for decent temps to get her deck and cabin top painted. Here's a couple of her sailing with some makeshift sails and the link below them to my photobucket site with some before-before pics and some just before's. The plan is to get some nice after pics up here in spring in all her glory.
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Re: 1967 Soverel 36R

Post by Richincident »

Here's CAVU, the first of the Soverel 36's, racing with Maynard Isabell at the helm.
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT