More Soverel 28 MORC II

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

More Soverel 28 MORC II

Post by Richincident »

Here are some additional photos for Rachel, clearly a tasteful and wonderful woman! I have quite a few photos but will try to keep them relevant. In 2008 I refinished the teak on the boat. 2007 I had the rudder rebuilt. This year I am hoping to paint the decks and doghouse along with some work on the Edson wheel. As someone pointed out the 28 was designed initially by Naval Architects McCarthy & Walters. The MORC II is credited to Bill Soverel, founder of Soverel Marine. He was a retired Naval Captain who liked TOUGH, kind of spartan boats. His son Mark was a genius of design, the 33 is the first ultralite off shore racer, also pioneered the open transom. All of Marks' boats look like they could be space ships...Bill's boats were much more traditional, but they also were highly successful designs for MORC racing.

Below you can see Becca relaxing at our 4th of July 2008 anchorage and a stern shot of THE INCIDENT in 2007. These give you an idea of the size of the cockpit.

Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for the additional photos. Looks like a fabulous daysailor/weekender. Interesting that it has a wheel given the "tough, basic" nature of it, but it looks like a great setup. I don't think you'll be bending that shift lever any time soon ;<)

Although the cockpit must be self-draining, it looks like it does a good job giving that "in the boat" instead of "on the boat" feeling.

R.

PS: There's got to be a story behind THAT name.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Soverel 28 MORC II

Post by Richincident »

She was originally "Cheers," named by her original owner. Someone on Long Island renamed her "THE INCIDENT" and most of her sailbags have that name on them. We contemplated several good names but that one was catchier than any we could some up with. We picked the blazing red, rough looking stencil font that is now on the transom.

Since we don't know what that name meant originally I try to provide a new incident every sailing season. Fortunately the boat is very sturdy. The cockpit is self draining and there is a teak tiller as a backup to the Edson wheel. A recent Soverel 28 purchaser remarked on the ribs that are glassed into the bow sections of the boat as "kind of beefy" and another owner noted that "beefy" is a good word for a Soverel.

So Rachel what are you up to? I note that you are a mega-fan of these boats. What are you interested in, what are your projects? THANKS for your interest, BTW. I love your questions!

Rachel wrote:Thanks for the additional photos. Looks like a fabulous daysailor/weekender. Interesting that it has a wheel given the "tough, basic" nature of it, but it looks like a great setup. I don't think you'll be bending that shift lever any time soon ;<)

Although the cockpit must be self-draining, it looks like it does a good job giving that "in the boat" instead of "on the boat" feeling.

R.

PS: There's got to be a story behind THAT name.
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well, I'm a fan of boats in general, but I have a 1960s CCA-influenced boat of the same general type as yours (Alberg 30), so I'm always interested when I see one I've never heard of :D

I've gotten ridiculously behind on my project threads here. My computer is now so old that it's really balky when it comes to dealing with photos that are on my hard drive (I have to bring a book to read while the system "wheels" after each click...), so between that and getting behind (and having some long stretches where I wasn't actively working on the boat), I've been very bad about updating.

I took the step of opening a Flickr account, and I'll have to see if that makes it any easier to work with the photos. If that was quick and efficient, I know I'd be posting more of my own updates.

Rachel

PS: Funny about keeping up on your "incidents" annually. I can imagine some potentially "interesting" exchanges on the VHF radio with that name. Although probably not quite of the magnitude of the person here who bought a boat named "Never Mind" (I forget who that was, but he had some funny stories).
Richincident
Master Varnisher

alberg 30!

Post by Richincident »

VERY cool boat!

I signed up with photobucket today so I could post pictures. It was worth it just to have your reaction. My little ibook is now so glutted with files that I am always having to search for stuff to delete. My enormous backup hard drive is stored in a good safe place...as soon as I find it (under tools? boat parts? old receivers?) I will offload some stuff so I can download some more photos from my daughter's camera....

I find the Patrick O'brien novels excellent for reading while the beach ball spins.
Rachel wrote:Well, I'm a fan of boats in general, but I have a 1960s CCA-influenced boat of the same general type as yours (Alberg 30), so I'm always interested when I see one I've never heard of :D

I've gotten ridiculously behind on my project threads here. My computer is now so old that it's really balky when it comes to dealing with photos that are on my hard drive (I have to bring a book to read while the system "wheels" after each click...), so between that and getting behind (and having some long stretches where I wasn't actively working on the boat), I've been very bad about updating.

I took the step of opening a Flickr account, and I'll have to see if that makes it any easier to work with the photos. If that was quick and efficient, I know I'd be posting more of my own updates.

Rachel

PS: Funny about keeping up on your "incidents" annually. I can imagine some potentially "interesting" exchanges on the VHF radio with that name. Although probably not quite of the magnitude of the person here who bought a boat named "Never Mind" (I forget who that was, but he had some funny stories).
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That sounds all too familiar: 2001-vintage, 600mhz iBook here :)

I put in an 80g hard drive a few years ago, so I'm okay there, but even with the RAM maxed out, the poor little processor has to "beach ball" quite a bit. I'm sure there's a new laptop in my future.

Until then... who says computers don't encourage reading books? ;)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's looking forward to seeing more of your boat, either.

Rachel
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Well, I'm a fan of boats in general, but I have a 1960s CCA-influenced boat of the same general type as yours (Alberg 30),
Rachel,

I have read many of your posts on this forum, but have never known what you sailed......the Alberg 30 makes so much sense.
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

These give you an idea of the size of the cockpit.
Wow...what a cockpit worthy of a daysail and nice lunch with a group of friends and family.

Nice boat!
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Soverel 28 Morc I and construction photo

Post by Richincident »

One of the people on the Soverel list at Yahoo just bought this boat. He was amazed by the construction, and here's what he said about it:

[/quote]I posted some pictures of the interior of my 28 Soverel. I am refitting
the interior. My boat has vertical stringers glassed in on the hull
sides. Was this the standard build up of the 28 or has this been added
to my boat. Seems pretty beefy for a 28 . Just curious.

My boat apparently has the same construction. Soverel Marine installed pegboard on top of these stringers, so I have never seen them. I have the original stringers and a LOT of teak inside and out. Kevin's boat (#80) looks like it has had its rail replaced with aluminum. I thought I could upload the image but apparently I can't yet figure out how. I CAN upload a picture of the MORC I version though. The 'original' 28 had the rudder attached rather than a spade rudder. With the spade rudder the boat is VERY maneuverable but you do give up some rudder protection.

There are two pictures here. One is of Zip, #51, which is located on Long Island and WAS owned by the original owner. May still be! He had the bad luck of getting this picture taken just as the spinnaker got away in a race. Great picture though! The other is Kevin's boat, #80, from one of the listings on line last year before he purchased it.
Triton 185 wrote:
These give you an idea of the size of the cockpit.
Wow...what a cockpit worthy of a daysail and nice lunch with a group of friends and family.

Nice boat!Image

Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Re: Soverel 28 Morc I and construction photo

Post by Richincident »

Here are some photos of the Soverel 28's strengthening ribs. Thanks to Kevin Hostner, new owner of #80!

Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT