Hi Again! Cape Dory 27 & CD 10

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Hi Again! Cape Dory 27 & CD 10

Post by Duncan »

Hi - I haven't been posting here lately for various (mostly boring) reasons. Then I opened a can of "Triton" sardines for an appetizer this evening , and I thought "Well, maybe it's time".

So, I sold both my Paceships (Eastwind 25 and Westwind 24) a little over a year ago, in the Fall of 2007. I have a 'continuing interest' in the Eastwind, having sold it to a buddy. I am also still (sort of) maintaining the Westwind 24 site I started a few years ago.

But I have a new love. And she has a delightful daughter, too.

I bought a Cape Dory 27 last spring and sailed her about 900 miles this past summer, from Rhode Island back to Montreal.

This photo shows another Cape Dory 27 in the foreground, which I encountered in Lake Champlain.

In between buying the 27 and picking her up, I found a Cape Dory 10 sailing dinghy, so...

I haven't done the math on how a Cape Dory 27 might compare to a Triton, but I guess they're all 'sisterships'. For what it's worth, she sails beautifully in light air, handles bad weather pretty well, heels and rolls horribly, and inspires confidence and affection.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

Nice boats! I hope the photo's are helping you deal with the snow this winter. Welcome back.
David
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nice new fleet! I remember you because one of your Paceships had the "wasp" on the transom :)

I'd love to see a bit more of the 27, if you're so inclined.

Welcome back,

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Oh, there she is. :<)

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

:snicker:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Tim wrote:Oh, there she is. :<)
Haha, very good. Busted me for having no sail cover, too.
Rachel wrote:I remember you because one of your Paceships had the "wasp" on the transom :)

I'd love to see a bit more of the 27, if you're so inclined.
What a memory! That was a friend's mother who chided me for that.

Here's the CD 10 'at speed' in Cuttyhunk Harbour- it was a lot of fun sailing in the anchorages last summer:

Here's the 27 'in good company' at the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol RI.

I also attended the Cape Dory get-together in New Bedford. People were relieved I wasn't going to be in the race across Buzzard's Bay, because the 27 has a reputation for being a bit speedier. I've seen 6.5-7 knots close-hauled, so I think they might be right.

Here's her current name: when I was coming up the Champlain Canal, the lock-keepers would call ahead to the next guy to say there was a hot blond on her way. Then we'd all have a good laugh when I showed up.

She will become "Coquine", which means sort of "saucy/sexynaughty". This allows the pretty little dinghy to be "Coquette", which means "flirt". I was 95% sure on the naming, and when I saw Coquina at the Herreshoff Museum, then I was 100% convinced.

She's a good old boat, very solid. Could use some sprucing up here and there (especially the teak trim and the old non-skid), but mostly 'spit and polish' stuff vs. major projects. The engine is freshly rebuilt, and I will be giving her new sails and standing rigging in the near future. A sail cover and a dodger, too. That should use up any spare time and 'free cash flow' for the foreseeable future.

One neat thing is a pipe berth (it's usually rolled up, not drooped like in this photo). It's quite comfortable, and makes a great shelf to stow things underway, too.

Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nifty! Thanks for the tour. Say, are those wood brackets on the forward end of the starboard galley flat some customized way of mounting a Sea Swing or Seacook stove? Or..?

It is fun having a little sailing dinghy in the anchorage, isn't it. I've often thought that I'd be really happy with something like a converted 32' salmon troller (power boat) and then a nice sailing dinghy to launch once I got the anchor down. Best of both worlds! :) My budget says "fiberglass classic" though...(not that that's such a "consolation prize" -- they are wonderful).

More, more! :D My neighbor owns a Cape Dory 28, so I've seen quite a bit of that; but I've never seen a 27 close up.

Rachel
Duncan

Brackets

Post by Duncan »

Hi Rachel
Those brackets are for a big hunk of teak that supports the aft outboard end of the pipe berth.

And I think putting a Seaswing on the other side of it is a nifty! idea. If you look at the other support for the pipe berth, though, I think it would need something to raise it up enough to swing.

Sailing around the anchorages was very sociable and fun. I would often sail in to the docks to go ashore, rather than row, just for the pleasure of it.

More, more, she says!

I don't have a lot more photos that give a general idea, other than these:

Looking forward:

Looking aft:

The 28 and the 27 are very similar boats, of course, but have sort of different characters. As they say, the 27 is the biggest of the small CDs and the 28 is the smallest of the big ones. The 28 is a bit roomier, especially since it doesn't have a lazarette.

I like this photo of another 27, and I have an old Shipmate heater to install where the Force 10 is on this one.

The table is clever, since it comes off the posts, and the supports are offset from the center of it.
This means you can have it out of the way (as a navigation desk, as in the photo), or in the centre (as a dining table). It took me about three weeks to discover that.

You can also stow it away completely, or, I suppose, put it up in the cockpit, if you install fittings for the posts.

Here is what I did the first day I sailed her:

I did this about two hours before low tide, so it was about five hours altogether until she floated off :(
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks, Duncan! She looks sweet. Big little boat is a good description. The photo of the other one with the stove does look inviting.

R.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I can't imagine why you're changing the name.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Great looking CD. always liked those. Really love the CD10!!!

Some of the most fun we had this summer was sailing the anchorages:

You can't sail the Dyer around anyone without them shouting "looks like fun!"

( don't tell the kids but it may be more fun than the big boat)

Other pics in my blog below.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Hey, Duncan - Congratulations! A swell pair-o-boats. Love the picture in the thin water, too. Sounds like the trip home was fun. Good luck with them.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I anchored in thin water in the NE 38, off the docks of the Miles River YC. She was afloat when we went off to the Crab Claw for dinner but upon our return, she was about 6" too high. She was standing level on the wide flat bottom of her keel! I fretted, wondered if she was going to flop over, slept on deck with the GPS position alarm set to zero. Not enough tide in the Chesapeake to worry about real adventure.

I always admire the CDs in our area.

Where do you sail around Montreal? I kept a Finn at the RSLYC for a summer back in my McGill days.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

By the way, this is the set-up that those two wooden blocks on your starboard galley bulkhead made me think of. Not quite the same, now that I look at it again, but it's always fun to look at photos, so...

The whole story of the stove is here, in the Triton MIR:

http://www.tritonclass.org/mir/236stove.html

Rachel
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks, all, for your comments!

Ric, it's nice to see the young ones being set on the road to ruin at an early age!

Mike, hey, buddy! I have about a 3' section of brand-new teak toerail that was left over from the Westwind, yours if you can use it.

Quetzal, I have a mooring down at the other end of Lac St. louis, in the bay off the Baie d'Urfé town hall. I almost stored Coquine at RSLYC this winter, but they only use cradles now, and I couldn't get one organized in time. Too bad, it would have been handier than way out where she is now. I live right next to McGill, by the way, and I hope you didn't party as hearty as they do these days?

ps. I saw a Lecompte NE38 this summer, at Quonset RI, but I am sorry to say that I have forgotten the owner's name. I very tentatively asked him if that's what his boat was, and he was so tickled that I recognized it, he gave me the whole 25-cent tour. Nice guy, beautiful boat.

Rachel, I had seen that setup before, but forgotten it, thanks for bringing it up again. I think it's very close to the same thing. As you know, the galley is "a game of inches" on all these boats. I hadn't realized there could be room for a gimballed stove until you suggested this setup.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Duncan wrote:
Mike, hey, buddy! I have about a 3' section of brand-new teak toerail that was left over from the Westwind, yours if you can use it.
Thanks, Duncan - I'll take a look this week.
That fellow in the maroon shirt in one of your photos - is he one of the boat restoring brothers from RI (can't remember their name)? The one has a boat named Aurora, I think, and the other finished a multi-year major refit of a big boat a year or so ago???
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Mike
Yes, that's John. The boat was very close to them, and he and Scott checked her out for me, which was very helpful.
John is doing a fabulous job on his Kelly-Peterson 44: http://svazura.net/
Cape Dory 10 & 27
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Re: Brackets

Post by John, CD28 »

Duncan wrote:...The 28 and the 27 are very similar boats, of course, but have sort of different characters. As they say, the 27 is the biggest of the small CDs and the 28 is the smallest of the big ones. The 28 is a bit roomier, especially since it doesn't have a lazarette...
Sweet boat you've got there Duncan! Yes, the CD28 and CD27 are similar. The 28 is a bit wider, and lacks the neat bookshelves of the CD27. Here's an interior shot of my 1979 CD28. The28 isn't really that much larger - the fisheye lens just pulls in more image.

Best,
John
CD28 Tantalus
www.yachttantalus.us

Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.