JV 33 under sail

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

JV 33 under sail

Post by Stubrow »

Now that I have graduated to a bottom painting technician, (although bottom painting is my least favorite activity) I figured I may as well post a picture of my most recent 'project', and hopefully the last in my lifetime. This is a Judel/Vrolijk 3/4 ton sloop, built in 1983 by Yachtwerks of Germany. It was built specifically for the 3/4 ton World championships held in Kiel of that year. All carbon fiber with avery thick kledgecell core. One other copy was built apparently from this same male mold (I assume). It won 1 race but didn't do that well overall. How it made it to the US is a long and not very interesting story.
It was left abandoned at a Boatyard not far from me, and I bought it for $3000. the companionway hatch had been left open for at least 4 years. The mainsail had been left on deck for the same amount of time. The bladder fuel tank had leaked and there was ring of diesel fuel around the entire interior. To say that the interior of this boat is 'spartan' would be an understatement. She didn't even have a real cabin sole because the 'ton' rule of the time specified a certain amount of 'headroom', so anything above the bilge level would have reguired a higher coachroof. The below deck aluminum chainplates were badly deteriorated. Fixing something like this was beyond my capabilities, but fortunately I know someone who was able to make new ones and re-bond them. Another more positive prescription of the rule was that, for some arcane rule-beating reason, the boat was fitted with a Yanmar 3GMD engine (usually only found on much larger yachts), and a 17 inch max prop. (7 1/2 knots under power and probably capable of 7 1/2 knot in reverse!)
I realize now that I'm going on a little too long about this. Suffice it to say that we have been sailing her for 4 years now, mostly in just local races, and have had a great time. (AND, we win alot, despite a tough rating) It does have some of the IORish problems in big waves downwind, but you just have to tell her who's boss.
I can post to more detailed photo's if anyone is interested.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT [/img]
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: JV 33 under sail

Post by Rachel »

Stubrow wrote:I realize now that I'm going on a little too long about this.
Nooooo, not hardly!
Stubrow wrote: I can post to more detailed photo's if anyone is interested.
Yes, of course!

Looks neat.

Rachel
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Very cool boat - glad to learn that you save it. Better to know that you up and sailing.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Nice ride. I'm a sucker for IOR boats.
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter