Triton Videos

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Triton Videos

Post by Ganges #363 »

Here are a couple of short videos of Tritons sailing on SF Bay. Looks like a flood tide judging by the smooth water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdQgFi8 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQANiWP ... re=related

Bill
Ganges #363
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

The second film is Whisper.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Ganges #363

Triton Videos

Post by Ganges #363 »

Robert, I thought you were still sloop rigged...just caught up to your mizzen mast thread. Very nice!

You're really doing well in the video. Do you remember the boat that took the picture? He looks to be uncomfortably close.

Bill
Ganges #363
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The first film is Sepibajezus, an east coat boat trucked out in 2000.

According to the hull # on the sail at least...

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Robert The Gray

Re: Triton Videos

Post by Robert The Gray »

Ganges #363 wrote:
You're really doing well in the video. Do you remember the boat that took the picture? He looks to be uncomfortably close.

Bill
Ganges #363
I kinda remember the day, but i sail there all the time. he was not too close, there are several convergence zones on the bay where a lot of sail boats will end up in close proximity. On a nice summer weekend we will have three racing fleets doing different courses around the bay at least 60 -80 other sail boats out for a pleasure cruises, thats not to mention the commercial traffic of tugs, barges, fuel tankers, container ships, ferries, and tourist boats on the way to Alcatraz. During the blue angels show, Tall ship visits, and the fireworks spectaculars it gets even crazier. So he was not really that close.

As an aside I have noticed a tendency in people who are accustomed to the close sailing during a race assume that this distance is comfortable and standard for other situations. I really don't like it when people sail near my boat for undetermined reasons.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Ganges #363

Triton Videos

Post by Ganges #363 »

I happened to be at the Berkeley Marine Center when Sepibajezus arrived by truck from the east coast. People piled out of the nearby sailing school (OCSC) to admire her...'what kind of boat is that?'. Given the elevated perspective offered by the truck trailer, her hull shape could really be appreciated.

Tritons look great on the water, even better out of it.

Bill
Ganges #363
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: Triton Videos

Post by Figment »

Robert The Gray wrote: As an aside I have noticed a tendency in people who are accustomed to the close sailing during a race assume that this distance is comfortable and standard for other situations. I really don't like it when people sail near my boat for undetermined reasons.

r
I admit, I do take some perverse entertainment from the facial expressions of non-racers when I duck or cross by about a boatlength, which to them clearly qualifies as a near-miss!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I hate it when people sail too close without reason. It's just unnecessary: there's lots of water out there.

And if they're the give-way vessel, it's also counter to what the rules of the road require (i.e. early and substantial action to avoid collision). Giving way means more than the minimum: it also means allowing the other boat to have an idea of your intentions (hence "early and substantial action".

Seeing another boat keep coming closer generally makes me think that they haven't seen me and aren't going to give way. There are no neon signs to indicate what that other boat's doing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Hey that's my Sepibajezus

Post by jollyboat »

Hey Guys that is my first TRITON 346 Sepibajezus! Very cool to see the video! I made the sail on the boat too - they look like Dacron sails but they are not - they are laminate mylar sails -hot! What do you expect from a sailmaker. I sold the boat to Edward Curran, who as far as I know - still owns her. Wonderful to see good old Sepi' sailing so proudly!
Thank you for posting the video.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter