vacation pics

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

vacation pics

Post by Triton 53 »

I just returned home from my vacation on Singer Island Fl. Here are some photos I took. Image ImageImage ImageImage
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I know it's florida and it's hot and all that, but really this AC-in-the-companionway maneuver just blows my mind. How the heck do you even gain access to that blissfully cool interior? Even if the boat never intends to slip lines and go sailing (which the busted outhaul would suggest) that seems like one very inconvenient floating condo.

A few of the sailing mags have recently published how-to writeups on this maneuver, and they've done nothing to sell me on it. Even the one with a wide catalina-style companionway that you could almost see yourself maneuvering past had me thinking that those foredeck hatch units are worth every nickel.

My brain must be in a very new england groove, because I just don't get it.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I'm sure all the neighbors really appreciate being able to hear whatever it is that those speakers are broadcasting!
Triton 53

Post by Triton 53 »

As you know, I'm new to sailing so I have a few questions.

(which the busted outhaul would suggest)

What is a "outhaul" and where can i find a sailboat dictonary so I can look up these boating terms?
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I know a few people who have found "Sailing for Dummies" to be a useful starting point.
Triton 53

Post by Triton 53 »

Thanks, I'll have to look for a copy
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Another option

Post by David VanDenburgh »

The Annapolis Book of Seamanship is a good text that covers more than just terminology.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

To answer your question, the outhaul is a line that runs insided the boom, often through a couple blocks. It exits at the aft end of the boom and connects to the clew of your mainsail. Hauling on it pulls the main out: outhaul. You'll want it hauled out upwind and eased downwind, the degree to which it is hauled or eased is determined by the strength of the breeze.
I know it's florida and it's hot and all that, but really this AC-in-the-companionway maneuver just blows my mind. How the heck do you even gain access to that blissfully cool interior? Even if the boat never intends to slip lines and go sailing (which the busted outhaul would suggest) that seems like one very inconvenient floating condo.
I'll be putting a unit in my companionway before next summer. It isn't really for the boat owner's comfort, but rather to keep the interior of the boat a reasonable temperature (it also keeps it a little drier). It's a pain to lug it around everytime you want to use the boat, but it does make a difference.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

AC

Post by rshowarth »

I'll be putting a unit in my companionway before next summer. It isn't really for the boat owner's comfort, but rather to keep the interior of the boat a reasonable temperature (it also keeps it a little drier). It's a pain to lug it around everytime you want to use the boat, but it does make a difference.
Sounds like an advertisement for sailing in Maine.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Ceto
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Ceto »

What kind of boat is the one we see just behind on the second pic from the left?

It's got nice lines...
Play.

Northstar 500 #67

ceto001.wordpress.com
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I believe it's a Gulfstar. Perhaps the Gulfstar 37.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com