Can you identify this not-so-attractive boat?

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Can you identify this not-so-attractive boat?

Post by bhartley »

Okay, this isn't pretty, but it irritates me that I don't know what it is. Most boats with hideous portlights are swing keel. The trailer caught my eye (always looking for more rolling stock for my floating stock)!

The owner took it on a trade for landscape work and can offer no information other than its 25' and the guy told him it was a really good boat!

Any suggestions to satisfy my curiousity?

Bly

P.S. Clearly I am desperate for absolutely anything to do to avoid finishing the scraping, grinding and sanding on the boat's bottom! Either that or the toxic vapors have gotten to me.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Columbia 24? I get confused by the various models: Challenger, Contender, etc. , and all their fixed port variations, but it looks like the basic boat.
bhartley
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

BINGO!

Post by bhartley »

Thanks Rachel. There are so many variations that I missed the option for the single mega-portlight and windshield...

Shouldn't you be cleaning your bilge ;>)

When are you going to post pictures of a really good looking boat (we don't have scratch and sniff screens)? I absolutely love the lines of the Alberg 30.

Thanks!

Bly
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

It actually looks nice from the rail down...
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Ric in Richmond wrote:It actually looks nice from the rail down...
I agree. In fact, I don't think the cabin looks bad, its really just those big, ugly fixed ports. Although I am sure they are wonderful from inside the cabin, I would change them.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
JMS
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by JMS »

Here?s a link to the whole story: http://www.columbia-yachts.com/c-24cont.html I grew up not far from the old Columbia plant in Costa Mesa. Cal (Jensen Marine) was literally right next door. At times there were so many boats waiting to be shipped they were "parallel parked" bow-to-stern on both sides of 18th Street. Those were the days. :-)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)

1976 Cal 2-27 No. 203
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Now that would be a sight!