My new baby - #450

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

My new baby - #450

Post by kabauze »

July 30th I became owner of Triton #450, Nevermind, a Sausalito boat. After 42 years she was still only a few miles away from her birthplace when I found her in Vallejo, California.
Now she's in south San Francisco Bay getting a thorough going-over before the big trip down to Southern California this fall...

Like every new owner, I'm still in love! But I think this relationship has potential ;^)

Nevermind has been updated to some degree - she has a Westerbeke 10-Two 10 HP diesel, a replacement (tapered) mast, LP topside paint, and the normal suite of electronics.
But there are plenty of projects. Interestingly, whenever people discuss WC boats, they always mention that WC boats have fiberglass coamings, no deck core, frameless windows, and metal-plastic grabrails. Nevermind, like several other WC boats I looked at, has fiberglass coamings, but the grabrails are teak, the windows are framed just like EC boats, and at least some of the foredeck is balsa-cored (the previous owner showed me a plug he cut out for the hawsepipe). Regardless, the decks are uniformly firm and she's solid overall.

Oh, there's one other curious detail about Nevermind. Her main beam is completely glassed over. I don't know what's under the glass. The previous owner mentioned that this may have been a replacement beam. Could it be original? Perhaps I should take and post a picture...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Congrats on the new boat! Dodger, diesel... She looks great, too.
Perhaps I should take and post a picture...
I think you should take a lot of pictures, and then post them here for us to enjoy :-)

--- Rachel
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Welcome to Triton ownership!
Like every new owner, I'm still in love!
I'm sure the love affair will last. Even if you do have some core in your decks! As I'm sure you know by now the Triton really is a great boat.

I really like your rig. I have an East Coast boat that is, atypically, mast head rigged. If you want to make your boat more West Coast-esque, I would be willing to swap rigs. In fact, the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that we should swap 'em. Let me know. :)

How far is your big trip to S. California? Do you have any extended cruising in mind, or is she more a twilight cruiser?

Again, congratulations on your boat. Please post more photos if you get a chance - we are definitely a visual group.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

She looks great. Welcome!

We all love photos, so post away!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating