2021 Server/site move and upgrade

Administrative Information Related to the Forum
CapnK
Site Admin

2021 Server/site move and upgrade

Post by CapnK »

Well, here we are. Let me know if you see any issues!
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)<- Home!
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

For Sale: Sundance, '71 A-30, #429

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
Lloyd
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Re: 2021 Server/site move and upgrade

Post by Lloyd »

Kurt, not sure what is going on. I saw the new site the other day noticing how all the pictures (including my latest posts) loaded at the ends of posts. They were not mixed into the text as they were on the old site.
Right now where I post about my Bristol 27, under projects, the last post is Aug 2020. My latest post are no longer there. It looks like the old site. Old pictures are loaded right, in the text.
Again, not sure what’s going on.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Hi Lloyd -

Yeah, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. I caught hell trying to get this software and all of our info moved and updated, and when even after 50-60 hours banging on the keyboard it wasn't working, as another option, I tried to convert from this 'phpBB' forum software to a similar software named 'Simple Machines Forum'. I use SMF on a couple other sites, and it works well, so when I read that the conversion was simple, I gave it a shot.

Well - TANSTAAFL.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. The conversion worked yet only about say 85%. Nonetheless, I saw that as a slight improvement, because at least there were no errors in using the software, and our 18 years worth of PCF data copied over...

But then - as it goes sometimes - after a few days distance from the issues with phpBB, I had a bit of an insight into how I could end run the problems - and so after a few more hours pounding on the keys, was finally able to get it running properly (so far).

So here we are, right back where we started. :)
BUT with a different server company that won't mess us up arbitrarily like the last one did.

OK - to your issues - I'm guessing that when I pulled a copy of the database for the move, it must have been from before you made your last posts, and that is why they are not showing here now. That old, damaged instance of phpBB is still running on the old server, and I have access to it for a couple more weeks, so give me a bit and I'll get your info copied back to here, as close to how it was as possible, if not exactly.

Sorry it's been a lumpy ride thru this storm, but the seas should calm down a good bit from here on out, and we can get her put back in order. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)<- Home!
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

For Sale: Sundance, '71 A-30, #429

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
Lloyd
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

Thanks for all the work you do to keep this site up and running.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200