Boom fittings

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Boom fittings

Post by The Good Goose »

I need a fitting for my boom and have been having difficulty locating a source for it. How do I identify what my boom extrusion is? What are some good resources for these parts? The part in question is an outhaul pulley for an internally mounted outhaul that I want to switch from cable to line. The old one is really cheap and cheesy.

Thanks
Brock Richardson
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Since the original Triton boom didn't have an internal outhaul system, yours must have been added, or the boom replaced at some point.

Most spars come from a series of standard extrusions, though there are many to choose from. If you trace the outline of your boom (say, with a piece of solder or something), and note the overall measurements, you can usually match it up with the diagrams found on many of the mastmaker's websites.

If you need a custom fitting, try Metalmast Marine in Putnam, CT. They don't have a website, but their contact info will show up if you google it, I think. I can dig it up here too.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

Tim
Thanks for your reply. I found my extrusion at RIg Rite. I also found what the fitting I needed is called, an Exit Block. I had looked on their website before but didn't look in the right area.

Thanks for the help
Brock
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

So... I gather that RigRite has recovered from that fire at their facility. That was fast. Good on them!