Handheld GPS

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Bill A

Handheld GPS

Post by Bill A »

Anyone have opinions on handheld GPS models?
Best, worst?
Thanks
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I generally prefer Garmins, but I haven't researched the current slew of GPS units out there. I have an older Garmin GPS 45 that is easy to use and works well, and my main GPS is technically a handheld as well, though I use it permanently mounted on board. (Garmin GPSMAP 175)

If your budget allows, seriously consider one of the chartpolotter GPS units. It's very cool, even with just black and white LCD displays.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Don't worry about which one to get. In six months your new one will be so obsolete as to make you want to throw it in the ocean in disgust - and new and better ones will be prizes in every box of Cracker Jacks... do they still make Cracker Jacks?

Really though, I would agree that Garmins are good. Even the obsolete one that I have. Mine shows waypoints but not charted features. Charted features would be a huge step forward. As a handheld I wouldn't get too involved with the latest bells and whistles. Save that for your panel mounted GPS you plan to install this spring!

Boy, I am really full of these short useless posts lately. I need the weather to warm up so I can get to work on something besides checking the message boards.

Hey Mike, (Figment) need a hand with your deck recore? I wouldn't mind the opportunity to snoop around your boat a bit and see exactly what I avoided with the boat I chose. Tim and Nathan don't seem to want me .... don't know why... but if you need a hand I think you are only a couple of hours for me.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Tim and Nathan don't seem to want me .... don't know why...
Come on up! Too bad you missed all the fun grinding the past couple weeks.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

What?! now that all the fun stuff is done?... he he

I will check my schedule and get back to you :-)

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:Tim and Nathan don't seem to want me .... don't know why...
We've been saying at least every other day "Where the hell is that Britton character? He keeps threatening to come up here and work, but now that there's work to be done, he's not around."
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Bill: I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76 that I'm very happy with. It's about a year and a half old. Here's a link listing it's features:
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76/

I find it very easy to use, and it allows different configurations and sizes for the windows you use the most ... great for us older guys with fuzzy eyesight. Internal battery life (two double 'A's) is very good, although I usually run it off the boat battery. It's water 'proof' and floats. The only thing I'd change is to make the case a brighter color.

I also recommend checking out http://www.ram-mount.com/ for mounting systems. I use the RAM-B-138-GA6 mount on mine.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Ditto on the Garmin 76.

All the features a weekend coastal cruiser could want, but not so much that you find yourself sailing with your face in the electronics all the time. I usually use the hardwire harness for power. I haven't bothered to purchase a mounting bracket yet though because it sits quite happily in this cheesy little drink holder thingy I have in the cockpit.

Britton, you're welcome to stop by and pitch in anytime. Feel free to email me when you're available. Weekdays, weekends, the schedule is totally random. I'm certainly going to need to pick up the pace now that the weather is warming.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

I recently picked up a Meridian Marine complete with charts for $300 (B&W only). I haven't used it extensively yet, but I believe it will suit my multiple needs just fine. It has all the bells and whistles that I need, and the price was right....
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen