Hull mounted chain plates

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Vince124
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Kintyre
Boat Type: Contessa 26

Hull mounted chain plates

Post by Vince124 »

For those of you that have done this mod... did you find any noticeable difference in tacking angle?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Hull mounted chain plates

Post by atomvoyager »

I have a 28' Triton with original inboard shroud chain plates and in the slip next to me is a Triton with external chain plates. The externals attach about 3" farther outboard. I'm not great with math but seems to translate to about 1.5-2 degrees on the sheeting angle. After sailing on both boats I can't tell a difference but maybe a racer would notice it.
Vince124

Post by Vince124 »

Thanks. I'm not a racer, but I am keeping this possible modification in mind for the future. The deck core around my chain plates is protected, but an occasional leak through the silicone bedding will pop up sometimes.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Silicone is not the best choice for chain plates. Polysulfide Life-caulk should last longer but even that can leak after a couple years. I've found it best to use Bed-it butyl under the cover plates.
Vince124

Post by Vince124 »

Definitely agree with all of those points. These boats don't have factory cover plates, but it's on the list to fabricate. Thanks Jim.