Looking for mast toggle replacements

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Looking for mast toggle replacements

Post by lsheaf »

Hey guys I’m trying to find a replacement for these Shaeffer Marine toggles (I think that’s what they’re called). I can’t seem to find them online anywhere. They seem to be much longer and thinner than regular toggles used on turnbuckles.
Maybe there is a better alternative?
Attachments
4550DBCA-525D-4883-A827-C3B7F6D69188.jpeg
7FAB595E-DB50-43EF-ADE7-E89108A70439.jpeg
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Looking for mast toggle replacements

Post by svMira »

You might have to resort to finding a shop that'll let you draw something up that they get custom laser cut for you and then bend it up. I've had good luck with a shop in my area that does short run fabrication. I draw up the part in CAD, send them the file and then pay by the pound for what I get back. I've even got them to do some welding up of the parts after.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

The CAD drawing should work. Or you could remove it and drop it off for them to copy. But looking at the photo it seems the slots are longer than needed. A standard slotted double jaw toggle could work. You could order one from Rigging Only to try it or get exact measurements of how long the slot actually needs to be rather than what it is now and phone them to confirm it will fit.

https://www.riggingandhardware.com/c-10 ... e-jaw.aspx
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

I have looked on rigging only but I don’t think those toggles will work as the pin that goes through the mast and one end of the toggle is a 1/2” pin. The other end of the toggle that attaches to the triangle plate takes a 7/16” pin. I was able to find a replacement from Rigrite and am waiting for them to ship it out. Thanks for the help!
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

After pulling the double back stay, delta plate, and toggle, it seems as though I didn’t measure one of the clevis pins properly. Both ends of the toggle took 1/2” diameter clevis pins (different lengths), unlike what I had mentioned in my previous reply. The new toggles I had ordered from rigrite do fit but I found it odd they were brushed stainless steel.
Here is a picture of how it came out.
Allied Seawind 30 double back stay
Allied Seawind 30 double back stay