chain size on CD28?

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
salish_wanderer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Olympian
Boat Type: Cape Dory 28

chain size on CD28?

Post by salish_wanderer »

Hi All,

I'm dialing in my ground tackle on my Cape Dory 28. I currently have a manual Lofrans windless and a 33lb Rocna. I have a gypsy for 1/4 ht chain. I cruise in the salish sea with dreams of a Mexico, Hawaii, return in the next year or two. My next purchase is 150' of 1/4ht or 5/16ht.

I can not find a straight forward answer on what forces act on the chain. I know Atomvoyages uses 150' of 5/16ht on Atom, which I would like to do, but upgrading my gypsy and choosing a bigger chain would cost me an additional $300 that I don't want to spend.

I've been told by a few Chandlers 1/4ht will work.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: chain size on CD28?

Post by atomvoyager »

1/4 HT has a SWL of 2,600 lbs and 5/16 is 3,900. There are boats your size cruising with 1/4. In almost all anchoring situations the 1/4 is adequate. Aside from the less weight for helpful catenary effect I think the only time you are likely to have a problem is if the chain gets wrapped around a coral head or other obstructions and the boat jerks on the chain with shock loads in a swell on short scope. That can happen when the boat is unattended and it wraps tighter with each tide and wind shift or during retrieval when you are trying to break it loose by using the mass of the boat on short scope. If the chain doesn't break outright I've seen it stretch so that it won't fit the chain wheel again. The other potential issue is that modern chains typically have thin cheap galvanizing and after a couple years it can start rusting. With 1/4 you have no safety margin to spare but with 5/16 you can still use it for a while before replacing since in theory its 3,900 SWL is oversize for most situations. If I was spending money on new chain I'd go the extra expense for 5/16 but if cost is primary concern then I'd get the 1/4 and just use caution. In any case, since I normally set two anchors, I would not lose the boat due to a broken chain.
salish_wanderer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Olympian
Boat Type: Cape Dory 28

Post by salish_wanderer »

Thanks Atomvoyager, i was about to buy the 1/4 when i found some good condition 5/16 on Craiglsist for $1/ft. Very glad I did.

Can you comment on the life of 5/16 ht from new if you were to live on the hook in soft muddy holding?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

I've had chain last about five years of active cruising before much rust appeared. In recent years it seems most suppliers go cheap on the galvanizing and you may only get half that time. You can keep using it for awhile until it begins flaking. If I plan to moor in one spot for several months I try to set down a two anchor bridle not using my primary chain to prolong its life and have a more secure mooring.