Considering hinged mast step upgrade

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
sea_goat
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: sea goat
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Considering hinged mast step upgrade

Post by sea_goat »

Hello,
I’m bringing a liner A30 back from the dead and I’m wondering what people think of hinged mast steps for easy step/unstep on a rig of this size. Is it safe to use the anchor windlass for the primary winch? I take it it’s best to have the pole and mast lateral support lines attached to a point in axis with the hinge and curious about easy ways to accomplish this, I’ve heard of people using a length of chain between fore and aft lower chainplates to create a triangle off the deck with its apex in axis with the hinge when under tension.

This also makes me wonder if it’s worthwhile upgrading the spars from the originals to a modern potentially lighter and easier to handle extrusion. I have a lot of pitting at the base of the mast where the bolts come in and figure I need to cut a few inches off if I want to use the original mast. Would a lighter mast adversely affect the comfort of motion at sea?

Any advice appreciated
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Considering hinged mast step upgrade

Post by atomvoyager »

I replaced two masts on Pearson Tritons, the latest one was with the Z351 from US Spars in FL. That would be the right size section for the A30 as well. A cheaper solution could be to cut off an inch of the mast bottom and raise the step with a block of wood or layers of G10 under it. I don't think the thinner modern section weight difference is going to be significant either way. I'd be tempted to add a foot to bring it to 36' overall for better light air performance if you are getting new sails.

I just added a hinged DH2150 Dwyer mast plate to a Cape Dory 26 and working out with the owner the other mast raising details similar to your description.

https://www.downwindmarine.com/Dwyer-Hi ... 90668.html

But that mast plate seems on the light duty side for a 35' spar and the CD has a straight coach roof and yours is stepped so it won't lower all the way without hitting the aft coach roof or seahood. My F-27 and current F-24 have welded aluminum plates extending about 6" from the aft end of the mast. I plan to use a similar bolt-on arrangement on my Triton. I'll make a video and post details when I get it finished. I may use a similar setup to the removable yoke on this F-31:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqsbJn475_g

I planned to make the mast guy line supports attach to sets of 7x7 stainless wire straps shackled to two stanchion bases but chain would also work. I'll use the anchor windlass and have seen that done with no problems. One issue may be the axis of rotation is higher than the tops of the aft shroud turnbuckles further complicated if the shrouds have studs instead of eyes. Assuming you're using the aft lower shrouds as guy lines, this could be fixed by replacing or shortening the shrouds to the correct height and using a sta-lok eye with double toggle forks on the turnbuckles and short length of stainless chain above the turnbuckle if needed or just an extra toggle at the base if you only need 2" or so. I plan to use my intermediate aft shrouds for guys since they go up 3/4 the way to masthead and provide better support. They are currently there to support an inner stay for a storm jib and might be worth adding on your boat.

Let us know what you come up with if you go ahead.