Wood shell turning blocks

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Wood shell turning blocks

Post by markwesti »

I think they would look good on most plastic classics . Back in the late 90's I tried to make a business out of it , I sold some at a loss and then it ended when someone else that was making them had a failure and a customer lost a very expensive rig . So anyhow I folded my machine shop 10 yrs. ago . So there is no way I could produce them for production . Funny thing , I put together some packets of drawings on how to make them for a Westsail gathering . I was trying to hand them out (free) nobody was interested . Here are some pics of the ones I had for sale back in the 90's . Actually these ones were prototypes and had mistakes and reworks so they went on my boat .
Some singles .
Image005 by mark westi, on Flickr

Doubles
Image018 by mark westi, on Flickr

Single with becket and cleat .

Image021 by mark westi, on Flickr
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Wood shell turning blocks

Post by svMira »

That's pretty!
With enough wood around it, like your boat, they sure do look at home, no problem there.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Agreed - very nice! Seems like that would be a specialty item that there would be a demand for in the right market. Reaching those people - like Simpson Boat Co? - would be the only challenge...
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
rescuesailor02
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Christina Louise
Boat Type: Truenorth 34

Post by rescuesailor02 »

I love the way those things look. However, after fighting the sun in the South on the rest of my exposed teak I cringe at the thought of keeping them looking that good. What type of finish did you use on those? I actually have access to about 8 wooden blocks that are for sale at the yard. I would love to have them on my boat, keeping them looking "bright" scares me off.
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Post by markwesti »

Thanks for the like "rescue" , well they do require maintenance but it's not a big deal . And I use Cetol lite . One thing that really helps is a holding fixture to hold them for drying . Also when i'm painting them I use one of tangs to hold it and then attach that to the holding fixture . The ones that you are interested in are they the ABI ones ? If they are the key to getting them apart is unscrew the screws and then with needelnose pliers unscrew the side plate . If you or anybody out there would like to make these I can assist . It's not that big a deal , get the sheaves here .
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/product-p/rl-e-5-8.htm