How to rig Reefing on Mainsail

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Ian Palmer
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Valhalla
Boat Type: 1978 Pearson 365

How to rig Reefing on Mainsail

Post by Ian Palmer »

Hello, As I’m now rerigging I need to instal reefing for mainsail. Previously my boat had behind-the-mast furling and now I’m using slab reefing on standard conventional main, so I have nothing in place for reefing. To start out I’m hoping to install a simple and strong system first... what do y’all recommend? Thanks!
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: How to rig Reefing on Mainsail

Post by atomvoyager »

Don't forget to check earlier posts by using the search box. There is an enormous amount of good info there. I recently answered a similar question at the link below that you can check:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6199&p=51530#p51530

But that was for a smaller boat than yours so the garhauer jiffy reefing kit I recommended is a bit light for your boat. You can use three of their cheek blocks thru-bolted to your boom. Check their online catalog. Let us know if you have any followup questions.
Ian Palmer

Post by Ian Palmer »

Thank you for the resource… I went through it but it still seems that I’m lacking some given knowledge about reefing in general. For example how do you pull the leech down so that you can hook the tack floppy rings into the goose neck ring in a hard blow? Are there lines that live in the reef tacks to help in this? Also how does the tack Jack line connect to the system? Is it permanently set or does it have to be adjusted each time reefing? Also can I ask if it is better to tie a bowline around the boom for the clue reef points or is it better to just install cleats on the aposing sides of the boom… and do the clue reef lines live in the mainsail or are rigged each time reefing? Additionally as well I have a stack pack which I have to consider how I rig this, wether lines go through the bag or around it… Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks. Ian
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

There's many ways to set up the reefing system so I'll just try to answer your questions the way I'd set it up.
To reef the sail without having to go through the drama of turning upwind to luff the sail, I'd install a small winch and cleat on the boom as in the video links above. That will take care of pulling down the clew. If you have a tack jackline that goes up to the third reef, it's there so that when you lower the sail to the reef point, you don't have to pull the lower sail slides out of the track. You cleat the jackline off so it is tight with the sail fully hoisted and then you will need to adjust the jackline after each time you reef or unreef so that it is tight again in the hoisted position. You can use a cleat or cam cleat. Once the halyard is lowered you should be able to pull the luff of the sail down by hand to the reef you want and then put the reef grommet or ring onto your gooseneck reefing hook. If it's hard to pull down in strong winds from aft then you can winch down the reef line on the clew first, then attach it to the reef hook. If that's not easy for some reason then you can always have a line about 3' long and tie the reef tack grommet to any convenient point near the gooseneck.

All three reef lines should be left rigged on the sail ready to go. Otherwise you will have a mighty struggle to set them up. I wouldn't install cleats to tie off the ends of each reef line because for one thing, they will foul the lines when you hoist sail and reef. Tie them around the boom with any knot you like but keep it fairly snug to the boom. Or install a pad eye to tie off opposite the cheek blocks if you don't have a modern boom with boom bales on the bottom.

I'm not sure how your stack pack fits but you should be able to lead the lines inside so it doesn't interfere with reefing and you don't have to take anything apart other than lowering the starboard flap to expose the winch. They are usually designed to fit outside your reefing gear without interfering.

I'm assuming you have the halyard and winch at the mast and not back in the cockpit. If you have the halyard in the cockpit it would be awkward to run back and forth when reefing. Some people prefer to run their reef lines to the cockpit because the halyard is there and they don't want to go forward. Somehow they make it work but I prefer to have less clutter and friction and lines rolling underfoot, a less leaky dodger without several lines passing through it and a good direct view of the sail as it is being hoisted or reefed instead of trying to see everything through a dodger and bimini.
And then I guess you would have to go forward to tie the reef nettles anyway.
Ian Palmer

Post by Ian Palmer »

Awesome... much obliged.