How to choose new running rigging lines

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Ian Palmer
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Valhalla
Boat Type: 1978 Pearson 365

How to choose new running rigging lines

Post by Ian Palmer »

I m now ready to replace all lines on my boat... I have 1/2 genoashets 60 feet long each, 1/2” halyards that are spliced into steel wire and are 90 feet in length... going to west marine has so many options it’s overwhelming. For cruising what are tips to replace my currents rig and what tips can you offer in order to better my mindset thinking about lines into the future. Thanks. Ian-
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: How to choose new running rigging lines

Post by CapnK »

Hi Ian -

If with your halyards the wire goes onto the winch, then the wire is handling the important "low stretch" requirement of that job, so I think just about anything would do for the line part. Regular double braid polyester...?
Otherwise, look for line with low stretch as its main function, like a synthetic core (Dyneema, Vectran, Amsteel) with a polyester cover.

As far as sheets, Sampson's "LS Yacht Braid" has a good reputation, at a cost of a little under $1/foot.
If you want a more high-tech solution, their MLX line is synthetic cored and so stretches less, but at a significant price increase - about 3X more per foot.

Or you could go all out racer guy and get the real high tech stuff like the Validator or Warp Speed, for even more $$$. :D

Defender has good prices: https://www.defender.com/samson.jsp#Rigging
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

That defender link is a good resource. You may want to compare their prices and splicing services with cajunrope.com. I've used cajun for all my lines and halyards for the past several years and they seem to have the best prices, good quality and free shipping. For your boat I'd use their standard double braid polyester (XLE) 7/16 for main and jib halyard, 1/2 for sheets, 3/8 for boom topping lift (with snap shackle or headboard shackle to double as spare main halyard) and 5/16 for pole lift. For example, their pre-made 7/16 main halyard is just $135. It comes 110' so you cut it to length when it arrives.

If you want to do your own splices then compare prices but I think once you buy a splicing kit and shackle, the cost will be more. And learning how and splicing double braid is a pain (My wife does our splicing since she's better at remembering all the steps to follow). It would be good to know how though for later replacement but remember that trying to splice used double braid often doesn't work once it's been under load. In a pinch just tie a knot. You can easily splice nylon three strand even when used but double braid is sometimes impossible.

Also, I'd get rid of the wire rope halyard. If you have a special wire rope winch I'd replace the winch before going back to the same wire rope. I did go around the world the first time with a wire main halyard on my boat so it's personal preference if you want to keep it. But the tangled wire, troublesome winch brake and broken strand meathooks on the wire as it aged cut into my hands. If cajun doesn't do wire to rope halyards then maybe defender will make them up for you.
Ian Palmer
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Valhalla
Boat Type: 1978 Pearson 365

Post by Ian Palmer »

Great responses... I’ll be referencing this as I proceed. Thank you.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

cajunrope.com

Website is "Powered by Cajuns".... :D

Thx for the link, James!
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...