How to Choose Correct Whiskerpole

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Ian Palmer
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Valhalla
Boat Type: 1978 Pearson 365

How to Choose Correct Whiskerpole

Post by Ian Palmer »

I have a Pearson 365 and I do not have a whiskerpole yet, nor do I have a track or any special rigging.... how do I select the proper size for my boat?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: How to Choose Correct Whiskerpole

Post by atomvoyager »

You select the pole by the length you need and the diameter of the tubing so it is strong enough not to bend under load. If you can afford it I think you'd want an adjustable whisker pole rather than fixed length. The Forespar Line Control LC 10-18 is long enough but a bit undersized for your boat. The next size larger (12-22) is quite expensive and more difficult to handle. If you got the 10-18 with trigger end on each side you need to use it carefully to avoid breaking it. Ideally on a boat your size you want a pole track on the front of the mast that has a car where the inboard pole end pin and socket attaches and slides up for storage. That makes it easy to handle. But that's a lot of expense and clutter. If you select a pole with trigger on both ends you can get by with a fixed mast pad eye about 5 feet above deck or a 3-foot length of track with a sliding eye gives you adjustment options.

On the mast you need a pole topping lift just below the spreaders. If you have a full length track you will store it on the mast. Otherwise you have the option to store on the mast in chocks, on lifeline stanchion brackets, or in deck chocks. Under tech tips at the link below they discuss pole storage:

https://www.forespar.com/products/line- ... inum.shtml
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

I just finished watching atomvoyager's very practical video on whisker pole storage on the mast. I also read the last post on the matter and have some questions. I am also getting ready to invest in a whisker pole and based on what I researched it seems that the line control 10-18 adjustable pole from Forespar is most adequate for the A30. On my previous boat I would wing out the genoa using the spinnaker pole and although it was a bit short, it was simple and strong. It lived on the deck between chocks. In the response to the post, you mention that the trigger ends of the LC 10-18 pole can be delicate and may be damaged if not careful. Can you expand on this? On my boat, I have a short track with a ring car in front of the mast. I have also noticed the ends can be UXP or UTR. Which end works better on this pole?
Thanks,
Marcelo
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

I think I ordered LC10-18 EL-UXP and as you saw in the video both ends are the same piston type. I never understood Forespar's labelling of the different ends and their website isn't clear. I think they list the EL-UXP pole with a photo of a different pole having the photo showing it with a socket on the inboard end that goes into a pin on a car and track and that doesn't seem right. You should call tech support at Forespar and ask them to clear it up and then come back and let us know. I've always bought them through the local West Marine because shipping is free and if they send the wrong one (as they did once) I can just drop it at West for an exchange.
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

As for damaging the inboard end of the pole it's just a matter of not putting a pinching load on the cast aluminum jaw by having it jam in the mast eye when lowering or raising since the pole acts as a long lever arm and forces can be large. Otherwise, they are not prone to being damaged.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

I need to add an external topping lift to the mast for the projected spinnaker/whisker pole. I plan to use a 2.5 inch diameter spinnaker pole of 10.5 ft (J measurement) instead of a telescoping whisker pole. What do you suggest as hardware at the mast near the spreaders?
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

For an external halyard I've always used an eyestrap or narrow pad eye with swivel block for 5/16" line.
svShiira
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Shiira
Boat Type: Fuji32

Post by svShiira »

I'm finally ready to purchase a Wpole now that I found the DIY WP Mast Mount Chock video. Eureka moment!
Boat is a Fuji32 Sloop. My only concern is my many external halyards and getting them caught in the mast-mounted hooks for the downhaul security line.
Could the hooks be mounted on the ends of the chocks to keep them off the mast? I made a small model with picture but cant seem to upload it.

Pole Size.
My preference is for the LC 10-18 for the lighter weight for single handing. My boat seems to be in an in between range. I have a J=14.5'. The forespar website recommends this pole for a Cape Dory 33 (J-13') and a Baba 30 (J=14.9'). Just looking for confirmation. I don't really want to move up to the LC12-22.
Cheers!
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

You could use the smaller pole if you took care not to overload it. The bigger pole gives you a better safety factor at the expense of more cost and weight and more awkward to handle. Is your boat a ketch with large genoa or cutter with large genoa or smaller yankee? If your headsail is not a large genoa and you use a staysail when the wind gets up rather than having a pole on a genoa in windy conditions then the smaller pole should be OK and you may wnat the shrter retracted length rather than a pole that won't go below 12'. Since I needed the strength of the LC10-18 pole diameter but not the length, I ordered a custom length pole of LC 8-14 cut down from the standard 10-18 to save weight and make it easier to handle. But keep in mind the poles are stronger when only partially extended so best to have a pole that only needs extending a couple feet from fully retracted except during very light airs when you can extend it further. My own choice for your boat would be the 10-18 and use it with care.

The small hooks on the mast don't hang up my halyards because they are low profile and only big enough to capture a 5/16" line and most of my halyards are 3/8". Also, you can position them where snagging is less likely. Maybe having the top hook on the side of the chock will work too but I don't see it snagging less that way. Try it and it's not a big deal to move it later or add the second one lower on the mast as I did to better contain the pole from flopping around.

When you are posting a message with a photo, resize the photo to under about 400kb and store it on your PC, click the Attachments tab under the message box - Add Files - select the photo, click Preview to check it worked and then Submit.
Attachments
Atom wing on wing 1.JPG
svShiira
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by svShiira »

Thanks for the info.
Yes, Shiira is a sloop with ~100% jib on furler and a staysail rigged on a permanent stay. See pic.
I was thinking of sharing the staysail halyard for the pole topping lift. Halyard currently led to cockpit but that can change to mast.

I will try your suggestions on the hook arrangements.

End Fittings. Yes, Forespar couldn't make things more confusing. You mentioned the EL-UXP which I think are 2 separate fittings. Looks like end fittings are changing a bit. Forespar currently shows these New fittings. See pic. Maybe UTR is best now?
The Defender site showed some other fittings with an EL listed. Maybe last years model?
Thanks
Attachments
Shiira Side View.jpg
Shiira Side View.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

Yes forespar end fittings are confusing they way they list them. The UXP is the standard "latch" end with external trip line, which is what I wanted. The UTR looks similar but is called a "trigger" and has an internal trip line. UTS is a "socket". I don't know what EL is but it was on the Port Supply order form so that's what I used last time. I would confirm with forespar. Let us know if you discover what the EL means.

https://www.forespar.com/sandbox/2012_e ... 0depressed.
svShiira
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by svShiira »

Ok great. Only 1 of my 4 pics from the last response showed up. Oh well, here is what I saw for the "EL" on the Defender web site.
Attachments
Pole End Fittings.jpg
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

Thanks for clearing that up. The UXP on both ends with external trip line is what I got on the last three poles I bought for myself and other boats even though the West Marine order form said EL-UXP. The UTR may be only for fixed poles because the internal trip line may not function on a telescoping pole.
If posting multiple photos doesn't work for you, next time you can make a new post for each photo.
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

I saw the sticker on my whisker pole today and confirmed it says 10-18 EL-UXP. Not sure if they changed the model numbers since then but that's the type I always ordered. There are slight differences in the large inboard end and smaller outboard end which may explain the EL-UXP name rather than just UXP.