Cleating the Sheets...

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Squidd
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Lazy Lady
Boat Type: Paceship PY26

Cleating the Sheets...

Post by Squidd »

I sailed an older (1978 era layout) boat I bought last season with the rigging that came with the boat..

Basicly Jib sheet runs to track block mid ship then back to a fixed block...from there to the winch and then I tied it off to stock cleat with cleat hitch...worked fine, but a bit cumbersome for the "new crew guy" on a windy tack...

I did mount an open cam cleat to backup the stock cleat/winch thinking it would be easier to jam sheet into cam and then tie off bitter end on cleat

I also picked up some larger swivel cam cleats that I was thinking of replacing the stock cleat with...but am having second thoughts with the bullseye and loop on cam becoming additional/unneccessary movement...

What do most of you guys use for Sheet Cleating...?
TampaBay
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Type: Coronado 15

Re: Cleating the Sheets...

Post by TampaBay »

Not sure, but I think that would be a good spot for self tailing winches.
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

IMHO cam cleats are fine for smaller one design dinghys but for head-sails on larger boats I prefer self tailing winches.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I would replace the standard cleat with a jam cleat (one side has a tighter "V" under the horn so that you can just do a 360 around the cleat and pull it tight. For release, it is just the opposite. My Sea Sprite had Schaefer Bronze jam cleats on the cockpit coaming about 1 1/2 to 2' aft of the winch.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... 3&type=pla
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

The cam cleats should do just fine- wouldn't if it weren't for the winch, but once wrapped around that several times, very little load on the cleat. Even on a BIG boat, you can hold the sheet load with two fingers with three wraps on the winch.. I was doing just that two weeks ago short tacking on a rail down Westsail 32.

Self tailers are nice, but VERY expensive

As you were told on "Ask All Sailors", DO NOT use those cams with the Bullseye loop. You need to be able to yank the sheet out of the cleat and lift it straight up off the winch, when tacking, or in an emergency up off the winch.

On my boat(s) I have horn cleats, and just take a second turn, without the half hitch - Works pretty much like a jam cleat..