Washed my Sails

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Squidd
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Lazy Lady
Boat Type: Paceship PY26

Washed my Sails

Post by Squidd »

Noticed it this winter when I laid out the #4 that I made (reconstructed) on top the Genny I got off e-bay just how dirty and rust stained my sails were...

I wanted them to look "presentable" on the lake considering all the work I did to spruce up the boat...More like this...

I looked at the main and laid a "comparison patch on it at the head and the reef point

Image Image

Then went to work following the suggestions I gleaned from RichH and others...

Big Tub (about the size of cockpit floor) and small bucket of Sodium Silicate Detergent...Soaked sails one at a time for 3 days..Stirring a couple times a day with a canoe paddle ((Just weren't clean enough after a couple hours or even overnight)...

Image Image

Dumped tub and rinsed with clean water...Then to get rid of rust stains, I mixed a bucket with a gallon of water and half a small bucket of Oxalic Acid and scrubbed the "rusty" ares with the brush on a tarp I laid out on the lawn...Then back in the rinse water for another day to let the rust remover do it's work...

Rinsed one more time and hung out on a line to dry...

Sails look much more presentable cleaner whiter and no noticeable rust staining, but still a little "wrinkly"...I'm still tempted to "iron" them but will wait to see what stretching them out sailing on the lake does...(they'll just get wrinkly when I put them in the bag anyway..)

Image Image

Whole project less than $50...
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Re: Washed my Sails

Post by Peter »

Nice job on the sails, Sqidd. A tip on rust stains: a dab of Davis FSR gel on both sides of the sail makes them go away. It also contains oxcalic acid.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

I second the tip of using FSR. It worked extremely well removing 2 small rust stains from my new Quantum 130 Genoa.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Post by lsheaf »

Wow look good, I’m thinking of trying this out. Where did you buy the sodium silicate?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

It's an 8 year old thread so they may be gone. If you google Sodium Silicate Detergent you'll find several common brands available. I haven't used them and don't know what is best but give it a try.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Post by lsheaf »

I Didn’t realize it was that old when I posted. I wasn’t sure if it was a pretty common ingredient found in regular stores but I did find it on amazon. After doing more research I wound up using oxiclean. The mainsail came out pretty good.