Alberg 30 chainplates

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Cruiser2B
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Salacia
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Alberg 30 chainplates

Post by Cruiser2B »

I was posting about the chainplates in Q and A section but thought it was more appropriate here. Anyway, I took the plunge and decided to make my own replacement chainplates. i was going to use another Alberg 30 owners chainplates but that never panned out so i am just using mine. I pulled the lowers and they seemed pretty straight forward to duplicate. I ordered a 6ft peice from onlinemetals.com. it was $70.02 delievered. here is a pic of my efforts today. I will use the old chainplates as backing plates. the old did not look too bad at all but i really have no way of telling. they are 41 yrs old.....time for replacements regardless. I made the 3 attachment holes 7/16 and the clevis pin holes 1/2. all of the new rigging will have use 1/2 clevis pins in the sta-lok fittings.
i still have to polish them but this how far I got today
i still have to polish them but this how far I got today
IMG-20111212-00169resize.jpg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Once I have the lowers done i will reattach the stays and then do the uppers. After that i will pull the mast and redo the rigging and inspect the masthead and spreaders.
www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
Preparing to get underway!!
Cruiser2B
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Salacia
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Re: Alberg 30 chainplates

Post by Cruiser2B »

I pulled the mast today, was not nearly as bad as I thought. Actually quite easy with the boat yard forklift/boatlift. found that my base plate on the mast is cracked/broken. I will take and post some pics as soon as I get a chance. Caught a cold and feeling a bit crappy. I already ordered all the lower sta-lok and and turnbuckles. I hope to get all the upper sta-locs and wire ordered next week when rigging only reopens next week. taking a quick look at mast and masthead is looks like i will replace all pulleys/blocks and wiring too.
www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
Preparing to get underway!!