Gooseneck questions

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
carterskemp
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Gooseneck questions

Post by carterskemp »

so, I am trying to figure out a way to convert my gooseneck from the current sliding track setup to a fixed one. I am looking for a simple fixed mast mount bracket similar to what Tim has here:
http://www.triton381.com/projects/maint ... eneck6.htm

is this a part that must be custom ordered from a rigging company? or is there a stock solution out there. i have google searched far and wide and can't seem to find anything.

here is my current gooseneck configuration:

and as I look at this photo, i realize that my gooseneck might be a boom roller setup? with trying to figure out everything else on my boat I hadn't really spent any time trying to understand what the big thing was hanging underneath my boom front, but now maybe i do...

carter
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: Gooseneck questions

Post by Duncan »

Yes, that's a roller for your boom.
You can get just about anything for your boom and mast at Rig Rite.
Why change what you have, though?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
carterskemp
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Post by carterskemp »

thanks for the reply.
I am looking to change because the boom has pulled the track off of the mast several times. larger and larger screws are not doing the trick, and now the track is held on to the mast with hose clamps, which isn't the prettiest thing around, and won't last as the track itself is beginning to deform.

also, i am looking to avoid RigRite as my previous attempts to buy something from them only resulted in frustration.

carter
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

I don't know if they have the right size for your boom but try Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company.

Look at the gooseneck brackets, see if one will fit your mast and the pins on your gooseneck itself (on boom). Email them the measurements if necessary. I had a good experience buying from Dwyer but it was a few years ago. A few other marine hardware store now carry their parts (one design specific, usually) so I think Dwyer are still doing well nowadays.

- Case
captphil416
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by captphil416 »

Dear Caterskemp: I had a similar experience at sea on my triton. If the Gooseneck is too close to the end of its travel it overloads the screws nearby. The original setup had 7 #10 machine screws and when the uppers failed it was like a zipper. Mine failed at sea. I bent the track back into place one hole at a time. I drilled and tapped each hole including the track stops. I now have 13 1/4 20 screws instead of 7 #10s'. The Gooseneck was locked into a central location by simply using one hex head above and below the gooseneck. This spreads the load to more fasteners. After an additional 11,000 miles this set up continues to funtion just fine. Fair Winds Phil