mast end attachment for vang

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

mast end attachment for vang

Post by Brodie »

Trying to figure out how to add a vang to the Sea Sprite. All my previous boats have used bails on both the mast and boom. I can get a bail that fits the boom, but not the mast (or not easily). None of the pics of any other SS30s that I can find have a vang on the boat. The spar has an internal track (it's a Hall rig). Any ideas for what kind of fitting I should be looking for?
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: mast end attachment for vang

Post by earlylight »

Brodie,

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but have you tried contacting Hall Spars? i have found the folks there to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Good luck and we can't wait to see pics of your sweet vessel under sail. :-)
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

My mast has a slot for the hanks, gooseneck and as it goes all the way to the deck, a fitting for the vang. You might try to find such a fitting for your mast.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Gary
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Red Sky
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Gary »

Hirilondë wrote:My mast has a slot for the hanks, gooseneck and as it goes all the way to the deck, a fitting for the vang. You might try to find such a fitting for your mast.
My mast has the slot that goes all the way to the deck too. I drilled 2 hole in the slot (when the mast was down) and attached a stainless steel U bolt near the bottom of the mast. That's where my vang and down haul attach.
Gary
Bristol 27 - Red Sky
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

I posed the same question to the yard, we'll see if they have any ideas. But yes, I guess contacting Hall would be a good place to start! (Why is it that sometimes the simplest answer is the hardest to come up with sometimes??)

Trust me, I CAN'T WAIT to post some sailing pics! Hopefully that will happen June 1st, next Wednesday!
steveagnew
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Artemis
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by steveagnew »

I just saw this post, you may have solved the problem already.... On Artemis , I simply wrapped 8-10' of old 3/8 halyard around the mast base and tied a square knot tight to the mast, then hooked the snap shackle of the lower block around one loop. This has been working fine for 5 seasons and no additional holes into the mast!
Hope this helps.
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Funny, that's almost exactly what I ended up doing....a sail tie looped around the two conveniently mounted cleats on either side of the mast. Vang angle is shallower than ideal, but it worked and is certainly a lot better than nothing. I guess I was too busy sailing to ever get back and post about my solution!
steveagnew
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Artemis
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by steveagnew »

Next time out, try 3-4 wraps of a line at the bottom of the mast, it shouldn't slip and the angle will be improved; at no additional charge!
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Thanks, I will add that to the list of boat projects for the spring...see how it goes.

Don't know about everyone else but there's just something about all that nice orderly spaghetti in that picture that makes me happy :-)