Cleaning sails? Y/N

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Sailor Simon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: AURORA
Boat Type: Swiftsure 33

Cleaning sails? Y/N

Post by Sailor Simon »

I have progressed enough with AURORA's (P. Rhodes; SWIFTSURE 33) repairs and rebuilding, to the point of looking at her sails. I have a spinaker, not sure which type though, a 180 Genny, 2x170 Genny's, 130 Genny and a self tacking Jib. 2 full batten Mains, one newer than the other, all usable.

Does one wash sails, or clean them at all for that matter? Several examples I've seen out on the lakes indicate the latter approach. I had new sails built for my wooden sloop HOLDFAST (http://www.woodenboatholdfast.yolasite.com). The old sails were sick looking, and not in the teenager lingo sense. I could not clean them, according to a local sailmaker, as they were extremely brittle, sounded crackly, and were obviously worn and bagged out. Does one wash them in an industrial front load washer? Using what cleaning agent? Drying them how?

AURORA's sails appear to be supple and strong, good stitching and all that important stuff. They just look a little scruffy. As I'm sprucing up this 50 year old boat, I thought it would do well to have the sails look and perform as well as the recon'd boat.

Suggestions please.

Simon
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Cleaning sails? Y/N

Post by Rachel »

I have read instructions for cleaning sails at home. The basic idea for typical dacron sails is mild soap and maybe a tiny amount of bleach, and then lay them out on something like a tarp over soft ground/grass while you gently clean and rinse, then air dry. I'll see if I can find the link...

Edited to add: Here is the link

http://www.porttownsendsails.com/pdf/sail_cleaning.pdf

There are commercial firms such as Sailcare, that actually re-resin the sails. I have not used them, and people who have seem pleased; although I have a feeling that does not actually bring back a truly aged/blown sail.

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I've always thought that the Sailcare re-resining did not do much for regaining the strength of sun-damaged fibers.

Lots of do-it-yourself methods for washing sails, all way too much like trouble as soon as you get out of dinghy sizes. Unless they're really dingy.

For me, besides sloth, the issue was finding a big enough bucket, an old bathtub or kiddie pool, maybe. And a lawn.

I've done smaller oriental carpets on plywood and sawhorses; a great deal of work. Also used a huge 'hardware cloth' sifter and sawhorses; makes for easier rinsing. Woolite and scrub brushes.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Quetzalsailor wrote: For me, besides sloth, the issue was finding a big enough bucket, an old bathtub or kiddie pool, maybe.
When I've seen people use the tarp method, there was no huge tub. Just the tarp laid out, and then a hose (and maybe a small bucket with the soapy water). Maybe not the same as a soak in a huge tub, but it can still work. A certain amount of water collects on the tarp if on flat ground (I suppose a depression in the ground might work nicely to augment that). May not help with the sloth factor though ;)

I suppose a dinghy might work as a soaking tub :)
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Find a big open floor surface. Lay the sail out on that surface. Commence with the floor-scrubbing machine.

That's how my sailmaker does it, anyway.

Sailing in freshwater though, I'm not sure I'd bother. My understanding of the necessity of sail cleaning is just to prevent the season's accumulation of salt crystals from over-wearing the fibers like a jillion tiny knives.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Figment,
Another reason to wash away the salt crystals is that they absorb and hold moisture which contributes to the ugly mildew stains.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

When I first sailed in salt water, after a lifetime of fresh, I was completely surprised to find out about the "it never dries." What the...? The jillion tiny knives part was just a bonus ;)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Salt is hydroscopic, thus the sludge or rock salt you find every summer in your shaker. We've taken to buying our table salt in the plastic grinders as available at a Trader Joes and similar.

Might be easier to go sailing in the rain.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Or a good knock down or 2 for the adrenalin junkie.

Anon.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

I've used Sailcare and I'm pleased with the results. I'm not sure exactly how old my sails are but I think they'd be considered "serviceable." When they came back from Sailcare they definitely had more body, if that's the right word. I'd agree with Rachel that the re-resin process won't restore a sail that's too old or blown out. My mizzen was the oldest of the three sails and it was better when it came back from Sailcare but I'm still planning to replace it. Also, no process I know of will help with UV damaged thread.

Sailcare also does repairs and they have very good customer service. They have been up front with me when i sent them a sail that was not worth spending the money on.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl