Masthead crack (repair or replacement of masthead)

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Masthead crack (repair or replacement of masthead)

Post by Rachel »

Well, I just found a crack in the masthead of my Alberg 30 today. Waaah.

On the other hand, what a perfect opportunity to try uploading photos from my newly opened photo account! Finally I've got one. :looks on bright side:

This is probably the first (big) thing wherein I'm thinking "Dreaded Previous Owner," so I guess I'm not doing too badly. He really did take good care of the boat.

So, as you'll see in the photos, the masthead is (I believe?) cast aluminum. The crack runs across the pin for the forestay, but I don't think it was caused by any normal rigging stress. Instead, I think it was caused by a fabrication that the previous owner made.

Basically, he took two chainplates, put some wood between them, and bolted them to the masthead so that they protruded forward in order to hold a spinnaker halyard. The problem arose because there are two "ears" there on the masthead, and he did not put an adequate compression post between them, so tightening the new "outrigger" squeezed the ears together slightly. It does not look like cast aluminum likes to be squeezed.

I don't plan to keep this spinnaker halyard arrangement, so it will be removed.

What I don't know is if it's possible to repair the masthead (I have the feeling that cast aluminum probably does not take well to repairs, but I don't really know). I don't mind how it looks (sister plate or whatever) as long as it's structurally sound.

Or, if it cannot be repaired, how does one go about replacing a masthead? Must they be custom fabbed? Or are there stock mastheads one can buy?

Thanks ahead for your input.

Oh, the mast is down and easily accessible on a mast rack right now. I would like to be able to step it within the month (too bad I did not see this crack sooner).

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30 #221

Here is an overall view. We are looking at the port side of the masthead. You can just barely see the crack in this photo if you follow the swage up from the forestay to the pin. Try to ignore the multitude of spars in the background:

Here is a close-up of the crack on the port side of the masthead taken from the same angle as the previous photo. There is no corresponding (visible) crack on the starboard side:

Here we are looking at the "ears" from above. Forward is on our right. You can see where the port side ear is slightly bent in by (I believe) the force of the plates making up the spinnaker halyard extension (how did that ever seem like a smart thing to do?):

Close up of same. The crack is on the outside of the upper ear; you can just see it near the left-hand "point" of the hex head on the pin:

Looking from underneath, with the spinnaker extension going forward off to the left of the photo:

Last photo, looking down from the top, with the crack just visible on the left ear, at the lower hex-head point (top of the photo would project out forward on the boat):

Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I think you could sister both sides of the masthead and forget about it. Use either stainless or aluminum. Extend your sisters across the whole depth of the 'head and pick up all the pins and bolts.

Folks can weld aluminum castings but it would take an expert, not 'Joe'.

The Morgan masthead was a weldment of plate and the whole finished stick was anodized. Lots of other mfr's, too. So you could make a new masthead, but what alot of work. The LeComte's is a weldment of stainless plate; another alternative.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

You know Rachel, a blog site or renting a web server would provide you with a LOT of space for hosting photos. Much more than the free hosting sites and you would retain rights to the photos (you give the rights to the free hosting sites otherwise) You could even use the site for revealing your own boat related activities if you so choose. All the grown-ups are getting online storage these days.

Just a helpful though... ;-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
David

Post by David »

Metalmast Marine made a new welded aluminum msthead for my Bristol 29 for about 500.00. Metalmast Marine is no more, but I would contact RigRite and see what they can sell you or put you in touch with a fabricator. I would not trust sistering what you have. After all, it's your rig.

David
David

Post by David »

This is an issue with cast aluminum. It is prone to shattering, to breaking like your masthead. I think it would have been fine had the PO not built that Rube Goldberg spinnaker crane. Yet, with cast aluminum you never know. The same is true for cast aluminum spreader sockets. Cast aluminum has a propensity to explode under pressure and weathered cast aluminum spreader sockets can go off at any time.

Good luck with the repair.

David
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:You know Rachel, a blog site or renting a web server would provide you with a LOT of space for hosting photos. Much more than the free hosting sites and you would retain rights to the photos (you give the rights to the free hosting sites otherwise)
Ignoring the snide jabs of insinuation in your post ;) I guess I'll have to go read the agreement more closely. I didn't realize I was giving up rights to my photos (Flickr). I wonder why some of the more "pro" types use that site?

On the other hand, isn't something like Blogger the same situation?

I actually got myself a domain name a couple of years ago, but (and I know this sounds stupid), I haven't managed to sift through the morass of information and figure out how to USE it. In my defense, no one I've asked has been able to explain it in a nutshell either (I wanted to use it for pointing my POP3 e-mail to as well as hosting photos).

Also, my private nature would make a blog semi-useless, since I wouldn't want it be available to the public at large. But maybe that will change; public rights to my masthead photos are surely just at the top of the slippery slope, and next thing you know I'll be trying to drum up "traffic" on my website and Tweeting to the world ;)

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The "masthead" by definition is the top of a mast (or top of the lower mast in the days of topmasts). On a sailboat, the masthead light does not go at the top of a mast. Hmmmm.

Sorry for the side track Rachel, just couldn't resist.

As to your intended subject I can offer nothing but to recommend you talk to an expert welder/fabricator. Whether simply welding the crack or welding on a new piece is the answer is for them to advise. Its a boat, so it will cost more than it should, but it doesn't seem to be catastrophic.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Ignoring the snide jabs of insinuation in your post ;) I guess I'll have to go read the agreement more closely. I didn't realize I was giving up rights to my photos (Flickr). I wonder why some of the more "pro" types use that site?
Well, I am over-speaking when I suggest that ALL of the free sites take the rights to the photos. Some do. That's one reason why I left them in favor of my own site. Renting space actually costs about the same as one cup of coffee per week.

Really though, I am trying to get a sneak peak into your boat projects. If you had blog space or a website you might feel driven to say a few words. Once you realize you have that world-wide voice its pretty hard to resist not saying something and believing its important :-)

As to your fitting situation, I agree with Hirilonde-Dave. Get a pro opinion on whether it can be repaired or not.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think I heard from another A30 owner that the A30 association had contracted for a series of replacement top-of-mast assemblies (he had one). You might check with that organization. I should add that I thought the new assembly was a bit less than terrific and not a great fit in this particular person's mast (and he didn't think so either and had never installed it).

The crack you show is not something you can live with--too close to the headstay attachment. Considering that those old aluminum castings have the integrity of crumbling wet concrete, I'd say the only answer is to get a new piece made to your specifications; repair attempts would likely be fruitless, and unsatisfactory. Any quality custom fabricator or sparmaker can handle making a new piece to fit, however.

Rigging is not a place for guesswork, or looking for a low-cost option. (If you need any convincing, refer again to your masthead photos.) Do it right.

I had a less than optimal experience attempting to contact Rig-Rite some years ago, and based on that I'd sure never bother to try again. There are better, more viable options than that place.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

One place to look for masthead assemblies...

Dwyer

No idea which extrusion the A30 mast is like so some searching would be necessary.

I found Dwyer thru the Sea Sprite forum - they had parts for the Sea Sprite 23. Rig-Rite has them but if the same thing was available at Dwyer, it was better to buy from Dwyer because... price was lower and Dwyer has a decent online shopping site. Rig-Rite experiences was less than great according to some forum members. I have no comments since I have never bought from Rig-Rite.

- Case
David

Post by David »

The reason I mentioned Rigrite is that the Metalmast telephone number now forwards directly to Rigrite.

I have bought a few things from Rigrite. The are not very intereested in a web presence and not hugely responsive, but they do ship what you order--it just may take a few days for them to get around to it.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for the input everyone. I put a note in to the Alberg forum last night, so I'll see what I hear back from them. I also sent the photos to a woman at Hall Spars (recommended by a co-worker). I'll also try Dwyer - thanks for the lead.

I've shopped at Rig-Rite, and although I did get my product, I will put them at the bottom of my list for their lackluster approach to customer interfacing.

I agree that it's a critical areas, and I'm not going to "cheap out" on any type of repair. I just wanted to explore that avenue to see if it was viable - sounds like maybe it isn't with cast aluminum. I just didn't need to buy new for the sake of new.

I'll post back to follow up.

Rachel

PS: See new thread Chris Campbell started for web hijinks.
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Metalmast

Post by barrybrown »

The last information that I had on Metalmast was that the employees had re-opened the company at this address and telephone #:

DCProducts 860-908-9409 (AKA Metalmast)
275 Kate Bowning Rd.
Plainfield, CT 06374
David

Post by David »

This is the masthead that Metalmast built for me:

http://bristol29.com/mods/mast/mast.htm

They are great folks to work with.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for the link to your masthead, David - it looks good.

I'm happy to hear that there may be a new iteration of Metalmast; I'll get in touch with them.

By the way, I heard back from Hall Spars. They did not recommend repairing the masthead, and also said that they did not have anything like mine in stock. My contact at Hall also mentioned that she had perused Rig-Rite's offerings and did not see anything that looked like a match.

To be continued...
David

Post by David »

I just took some shots that are up to date, showing some of the details of their work:

www.bristol29.com/Projects/Masthead/masthead.htm
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

The "masthead" by definition is the top of a mast (or top of the lower mast in the days of topmasts). On a sailboat, the masthead light does not go at the top of a mast. Hmmmm.
At the risk of being a total nerd, the head does not refer to the top but rather the front of the vessel. I bet your masthead light is located on the front side of the mast, correct? Also the "toilet" or heads on old ships was always as far forward as possible at the bow.

Another example is the stemhead.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Jonnyboats,

I happen to like nerds, and I was thinking about posting the same thing about masthead lights being on the "head," or front, of the mast.

That said, I don't know of another word to describe the fitting at the top of the mast (like my cracked one), other than masthead. Is there?

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The following are from the Dictionary of Nautical Terms By Thompson Lenfestey with Capt. thompson Lenfestey Jr.

masthead or (mast head) n. The top of the lower mast in which the fore top or main top rests.

masthead light n. A white light placed over the fore and aft center line of a vessel and showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degress abaft the beam on either side of the vessel. The masthead light doesn't necessarily have to be at the top of the mast, and it often is not. On many sailboats the masthead light is about three quarters of the way up the mast with the all-round light displayed while at anchor at the very top.

masthead rig n. A sail plan in which the headsail is set on a headstay that goes to the masthead., as opposed to a three quarter rig.

The following is from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/masthead

3. Nautical.
a. the head of a mast.
b. the uppermost point of a mast.
–verb (used with object) Nautical.
4. to hoist a yard to the fullest extent.
5. to hoist to the truck of a mast, as a flag.
6. to send to the upper end of a mast as a punishment.
–adjective
7. Nautical. run up to the head of a mast: masthead rig.

The following is from the glossary in Shipshape, the Art of Sailboat Maintennance by Ferenc Mate:

Mast Head - Top of the mast.

The following is from the glossary in The Ocean Sailing Yacht by Donald M. STreet Jr:

Masthead The top of a mast

I am sure there is a lot of information on the origin of terms in sailing. I am sure it does not all agree. But I have yet to find a definition by a reputable source that disagrees with these in regards to what they mean today.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
dee
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Type: Seafarer/Sailmaster

Post by dee »

Bummer about the crack! I'd ask some one who is a pro at this kind of repair. Maybe an extra piece can be welded onto the outside of the cracked side to sister it up to handle the loads.

Drill out the rivets, remove the head gear, and take it around to some aluminum fabricators to see if they can replicate it in welded up aluminum, with good quality stock. Maybe T-6061, or repair as above.

Davids head gear looks sweeeet!

dee
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

dee, your post reminded me that I should follow up on my masthead situation.

A fellow Alberger generously offered to send me his original masthead, which was in very good condition, matched mine exactly, and is now on my mast. (He had replaced his some years ago when the Alberg group made a group order of new ones at just the time he happened to have his mast down for other work, and he thought "what the heck.")

As it happens, my queries to the Alberg list stirred up the subject, and there is now another group buy (of the previously designed, welded aluminum replacement masthead).

When it rains, it pours (in a good way) :)

Rachel