Heavy Duty Sewing Machines

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Heavy Duty Sewing Machines

Post by Bluenose »

We just received a big package from Sailrite so Laura and I are getting ready to start on Bolero's jib bag, mainsail cover and side curtains.

But I wanted to pass along the source we used to buy our old reconditioned Pfaff model 130 sewing machine.

The machine came from http://zeusmachines.com/index.html and I thought the quality of his product and his service were great.

I guess I just love old things :).

Cheers, Bill

I will post pictures as the canvas projects progress.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Wow, look at that machine! My old Singer feels like a little puppy.

Thanks for passing along the info on the Pfaff. I hope you'll report back how it works on the Sunbrella.

Rachel
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Absolutely! The last Sailrite jib bag I made I used my old Bernina 530. She was a stout old girl but just couldn't get it done when it came to the overlapping corners. It was still a sad day when I had to tell her about the new Pfaff.

Cheers, Bill
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Heavy Duty Sewing Machines

Post by jlroberts280 »

I know it's an older thread, but how has the machine worked out?
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

jlroberts280 wrote:I know it's an older thread, but how has the machine worked out?
The new / old Pfaff is working out great. It is really a workhorse. The was a bit of animosity to overcome from Laura and I (mostly Laura) since I gave up my old Bernia and she gave up her old Singer. But the Pfaff is way above our old machines.

I mean to write up a bit about our (Laura's) canvas work. It is going pretty well as we have the jib bag and the mainsail cover finished and the cockpit cover almost done. In short though, we have probably purchased our last Sailrite kit. They are nice and it is helpful getting started with a kit, but Laura brings a lot of skill to the sewing work and she feel should could make a better pattern herself. And Sunbrella is pretty easy to find on ebay.

That is how Laura is doing the cockpit cover and how we will do the cabin cushions.
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Post by tpl »

the Pfaff is a rugged little monster--ours is from New
Zealand, and is handy onboard: yet in the loft,
sailmakers seem to prefer commercial zig-zag models
such as the Singer 107: using a clutch-motor,
you have better control, speed and penetrating power:
also the kneelifter is a wonderful device, permitting the
foot to be raised with hands still on the work. And unlike
their near-sisters the 143, the 107s sew both heavy and
light. And from what I've seen of 130 prices here in
USA, the 107 is likely to be cheaper, even with the
table, clutch-motor, threadstand and so forth.
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Post by Stubrow »

I have 2 107's. One with modified cam for 3 step stitch. They are great, but really best for seaming. They will sew fairly heavy material, but require constant re-timing when you do it on a regular basis. For canvas, it's best to have a walking foot machine, but the 107 will do a fairly decent strait stich if you take your time. I'm amazed at how well the little, light weight, multi purpose Bernina's do on heavier material. The one I tried, could switch from 3 step, to zig zag, to strait stitch and worked like a champ in all three modes sewing though a couple of layers of sunbrella.
I also have a big Adler zag zag machine (206?? which also does a strait stitch, w reverse, etc. ) I think it would sew through metal if it had to. Unfortunately, parts are very expensive. (new hook is $250). I'll keep filing down the old one as long as possible.
rb
tpl wrote:the Pfaff is a rugged little monster--ours is from New
Zealand, and is handy onboard: yet in the loft,
sailmakers seem to prefer commercial zig-zag models
such as the Singer 107: using a clutch-motor,
you have better control, speed and penetrating power:
also the kneelifter is a wonderful device, permitting the
foot to be raised with hands still on the work. And unlike
their near-sisters the 143, the 107s sew both heavy and
light. And from what I've seen of 130 prices here in
USA, the 107 is likely to be cheaper, even with the
table, clutch-motor, threadstand and so forth.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Darn those are nice.....not in the budget right now. And I do need to make a dodger......I'll be torturing the old Brother again.....
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

Post by boatsnh »

We picked up an older singer 281-1 a couple of years ago - it just happened to be for sale close to where we keep the boat & I still had the racks on the car so we threw the table on top, the machine in the trunk and home it went. It's a straight stich machine only, but will sew thru multiple layers of Sunbrella with nary a whimper. We fabricated new Mainsail & Mizzen "Stack Pack" sail covers 2 seasons ago and the machine worked well - no "zig zag" stitch, but a couple/three straight runs of stitching seems to work fine. It was fun installing the 13 foot long zippers! We have also made a compainionway hatch cover to protect the teak and covers for the 2 opening hatches on deck (24"x24") to protect the teak/acrylic. Most of the grommets & tooling from sailrite, the Sunbrella from a distributor in Exeter NH that's easy to get to. Next project Dorade box covers & (next year perhaps) to re cover the interior upholstery. All in all for the modest amount of $ spent, a decent machine.