T-track options

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

T-track options

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I just pulled off the 10 feet of 1.5" T-track on each side of my Pearson 39 because I'm refinishing the toe rail and I was looking to replace the stainless track with aluminum.

The original stainless track has a rotted 3/8" x 3/4" teak spacer underneath it that lifts it off the toe rail (thus making it t-track). With new aluminum t-track, this is all part of the same extrusion.

As I look at this though, I'm struck by how cool a new shiny stainless track would look. All I have to do is get the track polished and install something more durable to replace the teak spacer on the toe rail.

The teak spacer is my question: has anyone done this before and what have you used as the spacer. I'm thinking some Black UHMW PE might work, but not sure it will be dimensionally stable enough under the track.

Any advice??
Last edited by Ceasar Choppy on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

I'm considering the same thing with mine as well. I was thinking a strip of FRP might work.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

MikeD wrote:I'm considering the same thing with mine as well. I was thinking a strip of FRP might work.
I thought of that.... The only thing that concerns me about FRP is the breakdown from UV, however slight, on the exposed sides. Especially UV reflected from the water. Although FRP could be painted.
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Actually the more I think about the FRP, the more I'm skeptical since the FRP wouldn't be flexible enough to take the curve of the toe rail. Anyone tell me I'm wrong?
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Well, my tracks are much smaller than yours (30 inches or so), so I wouldn't think it'd be a problem for my application. I was thinking I'd just glue them to the track (4200?) so I could install each as one unit.

What I've been debating is whether to put them back in their original position on the decks, or see if I can install them on the toe-rails. The deck installation would be more accessible from underneath, but I just hate the thought of drilling holes in Tim's beautiful deck/paint job...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

MikeD,

You probably don't need to go through all the trouble of attaching the spacer to the track to install. The trick is to just drill the holes in the spacer (usually 4" centers) and through bolt it all together (caulk between the toe rail and the spacer is a good idea though to prevent leaking at the bolts.

If you do it on the toe rail though, you'll have a bend to it (even @ only 30"). You can do a straight track on the deck though.

I just priced 10' sections of t-track and the shipping as more expensive than the track. I think I'll be re-using my stainless track!
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Update: I'm using fiberglass spacers, but oh, what a messy horrible job!

They don't make 3/8" x 5/8" x 10' strips of FG, so I had to order 3/8" x 2" strips and cut them with a table saw. Yuck! But they will no doubt do the trick.

After getting some sample plastic and a recommendation by a builder to you starboard, I decided that the FG would be more dimensionally stable. That and I couldn't find any of the plastic in anything close to the dimensions I needed.