Triton outhaul

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Triton outhaul

Post by bcooke »

Replacing my boom has been postponed a year so I am doing a bit of work to my original boom to get through another season.

Regarding the outhaul, I can't for the life of me remember how I had it set up last time. By the looks of the photo I could have used a bit more tension though.
(and yes, there are other trim issues in the photo but I was still experimenting at this stage. I had only had the boat in the water for a week or so at that point and it was still quite new to me)

I have a picture of Tim's outhaul on his original boom. I don't have the pulley or any place to cleat off the outhaul.

I really can't remember how I set this up. Bubblegum maybe? Just shackled to the boom end fitting? Anyone care to remind me?...

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Damn, now I'm hungry for guacamole.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Any chance you had it dinghy-rigged?

Bowline to the end fitting, run the working end through the clew, back through the bowline (now a 2:1), and forward to a cleat or just hitched off to itself?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I have no idea what you might have done, but here's how I rigged things up on my original boom. (Though it looks like you've already been to this link...)

http://www.triton381.com/projects/small ... tm#Outhaul
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I think I might have dinghy rigged it though I am too embarassed to admit it.

Tim, I checked out your site but I know that you added parts to make your system work better. What I am wondering is how the original was set up. I have the original boom and what I believe is original or at least typical hardware which does not include a block or cleat or anything for the outhaul. If I was keeping the boom then I would definitely upgrade it but I think I am only going to squeeze one easy season out of it before I simply replace it with something stouter for the anticipated vang and loose footed main I have in mind.

Then again, upgrading is probably going to cost me $50 so I should probably stop scratching my head and just do it.

Mike, enjoy your guacamole while you can. When the boat launches this spring that color will be history.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Britton,
I know I have been lurking around black holes for a while, but when did you paint the boat that color. It's, well, let's just say you can never sneak up on another boat.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Tim

Post by Tim »

Forget the original, Britton, and simply rig something up that works. Who knows what "original" might have been anyway. All the "original" Triton booms I've seen have been different anyway.

Don't forget: the hardware and line and so forth is all recyclable, whether to your new boom or just to your parts bin for other projects. I reused all the parts from the outhaul I rigged on the old boom when I rigged up the new boom. So you're not throwing money away if you pick up some hardware.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Good point Tim.

Actually, Doug, that is the original 40 year old gel-coat on the hull. I am planning on painting this spring so stay tuned...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

bcooke wrote:I am planning on painting this spring so stay tuned...
Color?
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I think that's only divulged on a "need-to-know" basis....

Probably nothing that can be compared to a dip or spread, though ;)

Rachel
Figment

Post by Figment »

There's no shame in the dingy-rigged outhaul. I'm pretty sure I was rigged that way for my first season while I remedied greater sins elsewhere.

I'm reminded that I had to use a trucker's hitch to dinghy-rig the outhaul on the race boat for the first wednesday night of the season last year because someone pulled the bolt on the vang bail for some reason or other, forgetting that the bolt also secured the forward block of the internal outhaul. Now THAT was one ugly bit of rigging, but it got us around.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Yeah, as Rachel said, it is under wraps at the moment. I actually haven't fully decided yet. It has come down to two, maybe three colors- two truly fantastic colors and one traditional, slightly boring but always decent color.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Hey Britton, you're getting a new roller furler, right? Are you purchasing new sails at the same time? If not, your color must not clash with the green canvas on your current head sail. Otherwise, the Triton color police would have you shackled and thrown in the brig...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
kristian
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by kristian »

I sure do like the idea of an internal 4:1 or 5:1 outhaul for your boat, but it means you're likely going to have to install an exit block, make a wire pennant, new small blocks, another exit (unless you can go through the gooseneck) and a cleat. If you're up for that, you can make a great functioning, clean looking system that won't snag on things. You can take a look at Harken.com for rigging ideas, they've got some good standard setups.

I've jury rigged a 4:1 external outhaul for a boat about that size using a long piece of line and two sailmakers thimbles. This is tricky to talk through, but heres my description:

pass the end of the line through the eye on the end of the boom. Tie a bowline with a thimble inside.

Pull the line tight until that bowline hits snug against the eyestrap. Now tie an overhand knot next to the eye on the other side of the eye, so that the thimbled end can't pull away from the end of the boom.

Pass the other end of the line through the clew of the sail.

Now pass it through the thimble on the end of the boom. You're now at 2:1 purchase.

Measure the travel of the sail clew, I'd guess it's around 8" max?

In the long tail, tie a loop knot (like a butterfly hitch) with a thimble in the eye. Make this knot about 2x the clew travel from the end of the boom, plus a few inches for good measure.

Take the tail of this line forward along the boom, to a bail (or any round fair, strong "thing" on the boom) and run it through the bail, then back through the eye you just tied in. You're now at 4:1.

If theres no cleat, run the line to another bail or bit of hardware on the boom and tie off.

This is not a great system, but it sure worked for me on a delivery where the outhaul broke, the end fittings were corrosion welded on, and I had some time to kill and wanted to play the outhaul.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

No (more) new sails this year. The genoa stays for now. Depending on the final color choice, the clash is going to be mildly disagreeable and in bad taste or truly horrid. Luckily the mainsail is at the sailmaker's waiting for him to order the correct color ... decal material?... for the Triton "Dudent" insignia. I am going to call him and change the color to black -goes with everything.

In either case, I have no plans (no time) to sail anywhere down east where I know the color police to hang out. Down in the Boston area I expect to be merely laughed at.

Thanks Kristian, I may have to read through that again when I am more awake but it sounds like an interesting idea. I only need it for a year. The following year I will definitely have a new boom on the boat. If I can sell my kidney then maybe this year instead.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I was looking at Tim's photos and I noticed that my mainsail is either longer along the foot or slides back farther on the boom or Tim is cheating and put his black limit line further aft than the class regulations allow. I don't think I have the room to install blocks.

I am not a photo wizard like others around here but here is a closeup from the photo I posted earlier.

From the photo I think I have an inch or two between the end of the sail (what is that end called again?) and the end fitting on the boom. Either dinghy rigged or maybe just a pair of linked shackles is going to work for me this year. I need a longer boom or a shorter foot.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

I think the room you have looks very close to what I had on my old boom--which wasn't much.

Here's another photo of yours that I found.

bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I am not sure if I should be glad that we have/had a similar setup and I can blatantly copy your design or if I should be concerned that you have more photos of me and my boat than I have myself.

Thanks

P.S. really quick question. Do bolts with drilled holes in the ends along with castle nuts exist in SS? I couldn't find them at BoltDepot. I need to improve my end cap setup on the boom. No more explosive separations this season.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Triton outhaul

Post by Ganges #363 »

Britton,

I like the color of your hull. It looks like 'Marblehead Green' to me, although virtual pictures can be misleading. Marblehead Green is a sort of gray green, and is a 'King Kong color' as a painter friend used to say.

I also like that it's the original 40 year old color. My boat's original hull color was Coral Pink, like the coral that was used on mid-50s Fords. It had been painted several shades of blue before it got to me. I painted it green, mainly because my house and decks are off white/beige gel coat and green is about the only color that harmonizes.

I must confess that I wouldn't like to have my original color, but I really do like yours. I think if you had plain white sails, and black numbers and insignia, your hull color would come into its own.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I keep wondering what that original green would look like buffed. Britton, didn't you buff a bit of the hull? Did I see it and simply forget?

Of course I know you're painting, but curious minds like to know these things.

R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

The sunrise lighting makes the boat color look better than it is.

I give Tim or Nathan permission to express their true thoughts on the original hull color.

I think the color was originally called "seafoam green".

The gel-coat might be acceptable if sanded and buffed out but paint is clearly better. Plus, I also had to fill several places where chunks of the gel-coat were gouged out over the years. I could have color matched the gel-coat but I didn't. Those spots are brown now...

Rachel, I thought about doing a section just for you because I know you have asked me before. At this point about half the hull is sanded down to 120 grit. The color is a lot more smooth and uniform but still pretty dull. Maybe I will still get a chance to hit it with some 220,320 grit and buffing compound. If I do that I will take a picture. I can't guarantee that the color will come through cyber-space unchanged however.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for thinking of me, and please do take a photo if you end up compounding or sanding a section of the gelcoat.

I know your new paint is going to look fabulous :D

R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

All depending of course on my ability to lay down a decent primer coat...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog