Control cable basics

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Control cable basics

Post by bcooke »

Okay, last one and then I am going to act normal and interact with real people for the rest of the holdiday. Turkey is almost done in any case...

What's the deal with the 1001 types of control cables? Why are there so many and how should I chose the ones I need. Is there a single source of info or do I need to contact all the manufacturer's and get their spec sheets?

I need a throttle and choke cable for the Atomic Four.

Off for some h'ors doerves (or however you spell it)

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Control cable basics

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:Okay, last one and then I am going to act normal and interact with real people for the rest of the holiday.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes ;o)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Most modern engine controls use Morse/Teleflex 33C cables, which are about the most universal thing found on any boat. These cables form the basis for just about any control need.

There are myriad fittings to allow you to connect these cables to nearly any control surface or control unit, and I expect there are fittings that would easily allow connection to your A4. It takes a bit of time in a catalog, or a trip to the store, to determine which end fittings work best for the situation you specifically have.

Link: Teleflex Cable Fitting Catalog (PDF)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating