Strap placement when using the travel lift

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Strap placement when using the travel lift

Post by The Good Goose »

Just wanted to let everyone know the importance of tying the front strap to the rear strap on the travel lift when lifting a triton. My boat was dropped from the travel lift today when the rear strap,positioned above the rudder,slipped up and off the counter. Luckily it was above the water when it happened and no damage occured. Still it was a pretty dramatic launch to see the stern plunge four feet into the water. A couple sitting nearby said the same thing had happened years ago to their Alberg 30.

All it takes is for the operator to let the bow down a little more then the stern and that rear strap is going to slip off. Don't chance it insist that the two straps be tied together on both sides of the boat. This is the second boat I've owned that has been dropped. The first was 15 feet in the air so this didn't seem so bad. still I'd just as soon not see a third time. Insist on the straps being tied and save yourself unneeded anguish.

Brock
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Why can't these so-called professionals manage to handle the boats they are entrusted with? It 'taint rocket science fer cryin' out loud.

Glad to hear that no damage occured!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

next time PLEASE preface the post with "all is well, but...."
it took me waaay too long to arrive at "luckily it was above the water"!!

I'm delightfully relieved to hear that all is well.

I've always thought that this was far more likely to occur on haulout because of the wet slimy hull and straps, but this is clearly a false assumption.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Remember: it's YOUR boat. You have the right to INSIST that any boatyard or other professional take precautions that YOU deem necessary, from blocking a boat in a certain way (i.e. Triton false keel) to strapping her down on a road trailer, to tying Travelift straps together.

Even the "best" boatyards are filled with transient (and not always highly motivated) employees each spring and summer. They don't care about your boat, so make sure you let them know that you care very much and therefore expect them, as representatives of that yard, to do the same.

Glad to hear that no damage occurred, in any event!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim

Post by Tim »

BTW, the common practice at most yards to wrap the slings in plastic (to protect the hull) probably has a lot to do with the slipping of straps too--all the more reason to take 2 minutes to run a line. If they won't do it, then you do it. Or stop the process.
Shark
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

BTW, the common practice at most yards to wrap the slings in plastic (to protect the hull)
If only that were true. My pet peeve is that my boat yard does not cover the slings with anything. The result is that my white gelcoat topsides are marked with bottom paint and who knows what from the dirty slings. Cleaning the topsides is difficult once the boat is in the water and the marks are really ground in! This year I resorted to taping thick paper to the four places on the hull where the slings rub. It worked and there were no marks on the hull. But I still think I, as the customer, shouldn't have had to do that!!
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
ArielHull97
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by ArielHull97 »

Having worked in a yard the last two springs, I'm confused. Was the strap aft of the rudder? IE not on the keel?

Our yard uses some poly foam pads, that work great, I can imagine not using any sort of protection, sonds like a good way to put some heavy scuffs in paint/gel coat.
1963 Pearson Ariel hull #97
Susquehanna River / Chesapeake Bay
HdG, MD
The Good Goose

Post by The Good Goose »

The rer strap was even with the rudder, above it,but not on the keel. I believe that is how they have always slung it and I believe that is the reccomended location for a Triton. The straps just need to be tied.

Brock
ArielHull97
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by ArielHull97 »

I dunno that makes no sense to me, I was always told you want the weight on the keel, and the hull was just to stablize. I could be worng hgave been before but not having it on the keel sound like bad juju.

The Ariel is the same keel design as the triton, we've never tied straps and never even came close to a boat slipping out of the slings. Anyhow I'd investigate the sling placement a little more.
HdG, MD
Tim

Post by Tim »

Early model east coast Tritons have a specific keel situation that makes lifting with straps difficult, and quite possibly damaging.

It's the "false keel"...that pesky add-on, lightly-built piece that is found on Triton hulls up to around #381. Without proper reinforcement or care, many of these "false keels" have been severely crushed by improper blocking or placement of Travelift straps.

This has, over time, led to the recommendation that the after strap be placed on the counter. It's definitely an odd-duck situation, but there's a specific reason for it in this case.

In most cases, yes: the straps should be beneath a solid portion of the keel. But one size does not fit all, and this is why it's important for a boatowner to pay attention to how any yard handles their boat.
ArielHull97
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by ArielHull97 »

Well thanks, it's nice to learn new things, I'll be sure to pass it on to our lift op, assumming he doesnt already know it . . He knows everything :) j/k. but seriously thanks for the explanation, and not the reason "because it should".

Paul
Tim wrote:Early model east coast Tritons have a specific keel situation that makes lifting with straps difficult, and quite possibly damaging.

It's the "false keel"...that pesky add-on, lightly-built piece that is found on Triton hulls up to around #381. Without proper reinforcement or care, many of these "false keels" have been severely crushed by improper blocking or placement of Travelift straps.

This has, over time, led to the recommendation that the after strap be placed on the counter. It's definitely an odd-duck situation, but there's a specific reason for it in this case.

In most cases, yes: the straps should be beneath a solid portion of the keel. But one size does not fit all, and this is why it's important for a boatowner to pay attention to how any yard handles their boat.
HdG, MD