Changing Winch Location

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Columbia34
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Changing Winch Location

Post by Columbia34 »

Hi I am new to the group and we just bought a 34' Columbia sailboat and are in the process of refinishing the topsides and deck. We are wondering about relocating the winches. Right now they are foward of the wheel, so to trim the genoa you have to lock the wheel go fwd and trim the sails, if sailing single handed. We are wanting some input on moving the winchs back next to the wheel. Here is a picture what we are thinking, any input would be great thanks.

Scott

fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

The first issue that jumps out to me is that the lead from the genoa track to the winch with the genoa car in any of the more forward positions would be a bit awkward.
However it could be compensated for with an additional genoa car at the aft end of the track.

i.e.

Zachary
Adams, MA
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I got halfway through typing that it might be a little wet back there in heavy weather as the boat heels into the seas, then I remembered..... your boat has a LOT more freeboard than I'm used to and probably never takes a wave back there.

Still, I don't know that I'd go that far back. If you're sitting just aft of the wheel, you'd want the winch at your elbow, not directly behind you, right?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think you might want them just ahead of the wheel, rather than directly adjacent to or behind the wheel.

First, you don't want the winch to be in the way if you want to sit on the coaming on one side or the other to steer.

Second, you need to make sure that there is plenty of room to grind the winch--both for the handle, and also for the user. You don't want to be bumping into the wheel or helmsman.

Finally, havign the winch just forward of the helm allows the helmsman to control it if shorthanded, but also allows another crew to handle it easliy on those times when extra people are aboard.

With these considerations in mind, you can move the winch wherever it's convenient for you. The points about sheet lead are valid too, but there's always a way to make it work. Still, you must consider a fair lead when relocating any winch, so be sure to take this into account.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ancient Race

Post by Ancient Race »

Forgive the digression, but I'm really impressed with the graphics. Are you guys using a high end, high learning curve CAD program, or is it something more approachable for the masses?

Greg
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Columbia34

Drawing

Post by Columbia34 »

My orginal drawing was doing in Autocad 2005, I work for a landscape architect, its a great program for work...and sailboat line drawings.

Scott