Tiller pilot and instruments

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Tiller pilot and instruments

Post by Figment »

We all know how much I love boat shows. As dangerous as they are, I'm usually able to keep my hands in my pockets. This year's Annapolis show wore me down, however.

I picked up a Simrad tiller pilot. I was leaning toward raymarine, but the simrad can talk to other instruments without an extra translator box, and was a bit cheaper* to boot. Only when I got it home and opened it up did I see that it came with a remote control unit. I'm still chuckling to myself imagining how this could possibly be of use on a 28' boat. Change course while using the head?

I almost picked up a ComNav (NX2) instrument pack, but decided to do a bit more homework first. That was a good move, because Pyacht's price is well below what I was quoted at the show.
Has anyone had any experience pro or con with either Pyacht or ComNav?

What flavor of instruments do you have on your boat?

*fyi, Defender is selling everything at "boat show" discount prices for the next week or so.
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

Figment-when you asked "how this could possibly be of use on a 28' boat. Change course while using the head?", all I could think of was coming back from a race last weekend with the senior member of the crew sitting on the lazerette of a J35 steering the boat by remote control like a giant video game. Sweet! He could even keep his hands in his pockets to stay warm. But seriously, the remote comes in real handy when it's blowing, cold etc and you can stand in the companionway out of the cold.
jim
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Experience with Pyacht: Not so great if you live in MD since you get nailed with shipping AND sales tax. Hurts on things over $100. They are drop ship only so you can't just go to Annapolis and pick it up. Otherwise, their prices are pretty good. Also check http://www.brokenlegdave.com, I've found good prices on his very spartan web site. Another source for boat show pricing is Consumer Marine Electronics. Their regular prices are so-so, but I have good luck with them a couple years ago during the boat show when I ordered the Raymarine ST-60 instrument pack with boat show pricing.

Experience with ComNav: No direct experience, but a friend of mind just installed it on his Tartan 34. Aside from an issue he has with the Garmin GPS (don't know whether it is a Garmin or ComNav problem in the interface), he is very happy with it. I notice that the display is very readable and customizable. My friend reports very helpful service from their tech support on the GPS issue he is currently sorting out.

I've got the Raymarine instrument pack and am OK with it except for the wind instrument read-out which has never worked properly. Am still experimenting with GPS interface to autopilot.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I've had several good buying experiences with Pyacht. I don't spend a huge time price shopping before buying, but the normal due diligence generally indicates that they have very reasonable pricing, better than most. I often use their pricing as a reality check for the "wholesale" pricing that I get from various suppliers.

The items I have ordered have always been shipped quickly and reasonably. And of course no sales tax out of state.

I know nothing about ComNav. I will have to check those out.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

If you get a raymarine tiller pilot and it starts acting wacky.....the VERY first thing to check is the little tiny connecetions on the back of the head unit.

Mine gets funky when those aren't just right.

Other than that I LOVE mine.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

On the tiller pilot, my old but still functional AutoHelm ST4000 accepts NMEA input without needing any SeaTalk/NMEA translator. The translator is only needed if you want to send data from the autopilot to other equipment.

I haven't dealt with PYacht yet, except that I saw a friend of mine wearing one of their hats once (does that count?).

As to the NX2 instruments, there's some discussion on Sailing Anarchy that suggests they are reasonable inexpensive alternatives to the very expensive B&G and Ockam systems. I'm certainly considering going with an NX2 package to replace my dead and dieing ST50 instruments. My recollection is that the Silva Marine web site in Sweden (http://www.silva.se/marine/index.htm) has a lot more information about the NX2 system than the ComNav site (I think Silva is the actual maker of the NX2 instruments while ComNav is their distributor in the Americas).

Regards,
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I love our TP20, never installed the remote though.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

speaking of auto pilots. I just acquired a new , in the box, Navco TP300. I can't find any info on it ( don't have the unit here yet)

Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Oh- and on the instruments- my anemometer is hand held- I get it out when I want to know windspeed. My speedo is the GPS when I'm concerned with how fast we are going and my compass is stand alone. Otherwise, no instruments at all for anything to "talk" to
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I think it's a Navico TP300, not a Navco.

Google returns results.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Yes- that's what I meant.

Yes, you can get tons of hits on Google- but no information. You can buy an owners manual, you can find boats for sale that HAVE that autopilot, but ZERO info on speed of reaction, current draw, power, etc, etc. And as yet, NO pictures so I don't even know what it LOOKS like.

Buying it from a friend at a VERY good price so that's no problem, but I'd like to look at something about the thing.
Figment

Post by Figment »

For some reason this thread reminded me of the exhaustive tiller curve experimentation carried out by our Dynamic Duo a couple of winters ago.
Was autotiller connection a factor in determining that profile?
Could I coerce one of you to send me a paper tracing of that profile?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tillerpilot was not a determining factor, however my tiller pilot works just ducky with said tiller.

I might be persuaded to send you a tracing... Address?
Figment

Post by Figment »

I'm waffling on the decision to use the standard pair of thru-hull transducers vs. a single "triducer".

The triducer seems like a no-brainer from my perspective, but if it's really such a no-brainer, then why are the separate units so standard?
Of course I'd like to cut install and fair ONE penetration instead of two, but I don't think I want to sacrifice a lot of accuracy or reliability for the sake of that.

What don't I know?
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:"triducer"
Kirk: Any readings, Spock?
Spock: My triducer appears to be acting illogically.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I am ignorant. What is a triducer?

I have/had a single transducer for the fathometer but I don't think that is what we are talking about...

-Britton
Figment

Post by Figment »

triducer: combines the speed paddlewheel with the depth/temp unit into a single trans(tri)ducer.

smartalecs.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

What was so smart about my question? I thought it was legitimate. I really didn't know.

Nathan's comments on the other hand were totally uncalled for.

-Britton ;-)
Figment

Post by Figment »

Figment wrote: The triducer seems like a no-brainer from my perspective......

What don't I know?
What I didn't know is that the triducer can only accommodate a hull thickness (including fairing blocks) of a tad over 2". They make long-stem depth transducers and long-stem speed transducers, but not a long-stem combo unit.

This creates an issue because none of the triton's hull surfaces are anywhere near horizontal, and the requisite fairing blocks add significant thickness to the already-hella-thick hull. I'm sure it's a non-issue on any modern boat.

I think I have it worked out, but some (ahem) "surgery" was required.
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

They do in fact make a long stem triducer.
I had to get one just recently for a 55' islander with a crazy thick hull and monster fairing blocks. The owner provided a standard length triducer that didnt even make it all the way through the hull.

What we ended up getting was a standard raymarine st60 triducer but with a 4" long stem. A 2" hole was required.

Our parts guy couldn't find the long stem listed anywhere "official" but when he called our supplier and told him what we needed we had one in a couple of days.

Cant remember the specific part numbers but I could get them if anybody wants them.
Zachary
Adams, MA
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

I found it.
Its a B744VL.
$400 bucks...
Zachary
Adams, MA
Figment

Post by Figment »

should've been more specific.... They don't (yet) make a long-stem triducer that operates at 200kHz and talks to the NX2 system. A guy at ComNav tested a 180kHz unit to see if he could rig a work-around into the system through the NEMA ports, but no joy.

No biggie. Not the first bit of creative boat-surgery, won't be the last.