SPARTEN MARINE OUTBOARD BRACKET, DOES IT WORK ON THE TRITON?

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

SPARTEN MARINE OUTBOARD BRACKET, DOES IT WORK ON THE TRITON?

Post by jollyboat »

Has anyone installed the cast bronze, removable outboard bracket on the Triton and does this bracket work with the Triton. This is a nice bracket in that when through using the outboard, both motor and bracket can be removed and stowed. Would work very well for a cruising back up engine source.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

It's meant for very small boats with low freeboard, and is often seen on Ensigns and Typhoons.

I don't know how it would work on a Triton. It seems like it might be a bit high, but perhaps not.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Tim - I was afraid of that - I have removed the A-4 from JOLLYBOAT and though will eventually install a new power plant - I am investigating alternative propultion methods for the 'now'. I have been able to set the Sparten Marine outboard bracket on my transom (borrowed) to get an out of the water look - it does look too high but it difficult to be sure - Another issue is the decreased weight of the boat. It floats higher in the stern. (6" +) When hobbie horsing on the mooring the top of rudder spashes up to say hello. This is of course with nothing on the boat at all and I am sure that once commissioned I will be loading on the basics which will help a lot to trim her out. The A-4 weighs 375 lbs. with out any associated gear and I have a lot more out than just the motor and it's running gear. Human balast is of course the best way trim the boat (eitherway) but I may not always have (or want) to press 3-4 swabs into service. All in all, I am not complaining as this is how I like my Tritons - light - but I need to figure out a way to get JOLLYBOAT to and from the mooring in the mean time. (oars, rum, cussing, swimming?)
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Allen

Post by Allen »

I used an outboard to power a couple of my previous boats. The problem was when motoring through waves the stern would kick up and the outboard would come out of the water rev up then when it got dunked back into the water, kick really hard against the mount. I had a fairly healthy mount but it broke during one of these romps. I'd suggest you get the strongest bracket you can and use a good sized backing plate even if this is a temporary solution.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Thanks for the info Robert - I have also been kicking around the idea of a 'canoe' style mount, which also would not be permanent, could be removed with ease and would get the shaft into the water.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

I've seen a similar mount used on Ensigns, who stash the motor in the bilge when racing. It seemed to me that it dropped lower on the transom than the item listed on Spartan's site. I'll see if I can get more information this weekend.
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Thank you GJVP - that would be great - I know that I have seen the Sparten bracket on the Ensign. To my knowledge (limited of sorts) Sparten makes the only bracket that can be removed as such - Even if only temporary I very much dislike the idea of leaving an outboard slapped onto the stern of the Triton - that would be bad.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Michigan Wheel used to make a bracket (sometimes called a Haida Bracket) that was removable. They came on the early 24' San Juans (up until about 1976). I doubt that they still make them, however, a lot of people have pulled them off there San Juans in favour of a newer style bracket. You might want to google it to see if you can find a used one for sale.

I still have the original Michigan Wheel bracket on my boat, and it works great.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Thanks Rick, I have not heard of this company or bracket but the San Jaun was a given. I will run a search on the bracket to see what they look like.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Michigan Wheel was a big company that made propellors - mostly high performance propellors for power boats. I would think the brackets were a sideline. I'm not sure if the company is still around or not.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Summersdawn wrote:Michigan Wheel used to make a bracket (sometimes called a Haida Bracket) that was removable.
Brian,

I don't know if this will help at all in your search, but I'll toss it out as a possible puzzle piece: There is/was a ~26' sailboat model called a "Haida" which might be the origin of the term "Haida bracket." The Haida sailboats I saw were in British Columbia (makes sense as the Haida Indian tribe is there), and I believe they were made there as well. I spent an afternoon sailing on one, but I can't remember the bracket.

Note to self: Always remember all boat details for future reference ;-)

--- R.