Unique Propane Tank Design

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Unique Propane Tank Design

Post by Allen »

http://www.litecylinder.com/index.html

The tank is made of a composite material which allows you to see the fuel lever. From what I read on their site, the actual tank is the portion inside the brown case. There are other colors available. I have sent a request for more information including how it holds up when exposed to sunlight for long periods of time.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Nice looking, but...

Post by Al »

I saw these tanks at a marine chandlery and they seemed quite well-made. However, unless they come in more than one size, the one I saw was about the size of a typical home barbecue tank. Thus, unless you are building a new propane locker, they are unlikely to fit in an existing propane locker.
Al Lorman
Allen

Post by Allen »

I'm planning on hanging them off the stern rail and this design would definitely solve the corrosion problem. I'm just concerned about how they hold up to direct sunlight. Their site shows a couple fo different sizes in one picture (the picture of the red and yellow tanks) but does not show the smaller one in their product list. They do show one that mounts like Tim has his mounted on Glissando (horizontally) though.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

krissteyn
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by krissteyn »

Vey interesting - given that the rust isnt a problem, every other boater will envy you and if its hung in full sight, its likely to aquire a new home very quickly. the cheapest I have seen so far is $99 + $8 shipping - so I think I will be getting a standard ACE hardware version and painting it...

kris
dont worry - be happy !
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Maybe you could make sunbrella covers for the tanks and just peak inside when you're curious about the fuel level? Then you could match your main sail cover or cockpit cushions or what have you...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Allen

Post by Allen »

That's a thought Mike. It would also make the mounting look cleaner.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position