Jib Sheet Annoyance

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Jib Sheet Annoyance

Post by dasein668 »

Does any body else have this same annoyance:

You're ready to go for a sail. The forward hatch is propped open somewhat. You sail away from the mooring with the main up. Then you unfurl the jib. D'OH! The lazy jib sheet snags in the open hatch, just like a jam cleat. See below:

D'OH!

Is there a good way to deal with this (other than leave the hatch closed? I find that once I clear the jam, I don't have any issues when tacking (unless someone lets the jib flog ridiculously on the way around....).
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Seems to me this problem is right up there with running aground at least once a season in the Chesapeake Bay, and sucking a jelly fish into a raw water intake. If it doesn't happen occassionaly, you aren't sailing enough. I try not to open my forward hatch until I'm underway... of course I'm just delaying the inevitable.
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

About 10 years ago, I took some people I worked with sailing after work. Blowing pretty good 18-20 knots. One of the guys I worked with was an "expert" sailor. He tied the jib sheets on for me.

I sail a San Juan 4. These boats use a baby stay to help put some pre-bend in the mast. He routed one jib sheet properly, the other one went between the mast and baby stay, then out to the clew.

I decided to hoist the sails in the harbour (fairly busy, with quite a few boats on the hook). We hoisted with the jib on the "good" side. After beating for a while, I needed to make a short tack to clear the point. The jib sheet got completely snarled in the baby stay, the clew of the sail was on the wrong side of the mast, and we heeled over so far the stanchion bases were under water!

Of course it was race night (we weren't racing, just out for a sail), but with the good winds, there were several dozen racers - "spectators" (of course). We managed to get the jib sheet free, and slunked out of the harbour for a sail.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

As nice as it is to keep the airflow through the cabin when under sail, I think it's best to just keep the hatch closed--partly because of the fouling problem, and also because even on a calm day with no seas to worry about, you only need one powerpig wake of uncaring dimensions to plunge your foredeck underwater and allow the water to pour into the cabin.

Yes, I've seen this happen--and on a 47' sailboat, too. It makes quite a mess of things. And at least once a season some boat goes by that makes my bow take on green water as I go through the wake. (I love those friendly powerboaters.) I'm always glad the hatch is closed when this happens.

The option to prevent sheets from snagging, of course, is to install some sort of guard over the hatch that would ensure a snag-free run for any line. I doubt you want this up on the foredeck, though! And the chance that the sheet might snag is just one more reason to avoid the possibility by closing the hatch, in my opinion.

The last thing anyone needs is a preventable snag if some drastic maneuver or some such requires a fast tack, or what have you. That snag could make the difference some day. Worst case scenario? Yeah, admittedly. But the annals of boating lore are full of accidents and mishaps that might have been prevented but for the chain of minor events leading up to the bigger problem.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I had an easy solution in mind, but then I remembered..... roller furling.
The line gets snagged because the clew starts forward and the lazy sheet gets pulled aft with it as the sail unfurls, right?

I guess your only remedy would be to unfurl halfway, go forward and toss the lazy sheet over the hatch, then launch the rest of the sail.

My hatch is either full-open or full-closed, and full-open catches the sheet every time, so I too sail with the hatch closed unless it's REALLY stinkin hot out. The nicro-vent in my hatch keeps the forepeak well-vented, though.

wait.... I've got it:
If you can predetermine which tack you'll be on when launching the jib, could you slack the lazy sheet and walk it aft on your return trip from the bow after casting off the mooring? Once it's over the top of the hatch, you're golden, right?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Your idea does work, Mike. I've done it, when I think of it. But I usually forget.

I suppose it does make more sense to sail with that hatch shut... ::sigh::
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

So what you REALLY need is a post-it note at the foredeck cleat that says "HATCH/SHEET" in fat red letters, eh?

I can't say that I blame you for wanting the ventilation in this weather. Lately I've been considering sailing with the Windscoop rigged to the hatch!

Damn I hate july and august!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Perhaps scrawled across the foredeck with a Sharpie? My messages to myself however, can't be reproduced here on this family oriented forum. Tim can second that, I'm sure.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:My messages to myself however, can't be reproduced here on this family oriented forum. Tim can second that, I'm sure.
hehehe...oh yes, oh yes!

BTW, I didn't mean to sound so Chicken Little-ish in my reply before. I sounded like a worry-wart. Sometimes I should just be quiet.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:BTW, I didn't mean to sound so Chicken Little-ish in my reply before. I sounded like a worry-wart. Sometimes I should just be quiet.
It's because you've been spending all your days standing on staging sanding ceilings. You gotta get out more!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I don't think so Tim. We always keep the fore hatch shut when beating, particularly if we have to short tack.

However, in over 3200 miles of travel, this year and last, we had 1 (ONE) towboat put solid water down the fore hatch-we were motoring at the time.
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

We get some degree of water on the foredeck almost every time we go out so the forehatch remains closed (Solar Micro vent works fine though and never seems to let water in).

Mark