New Sail Cloth of Interest

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

New Sail Cloth of Interest

Post by jollyboat »

There are currently two new laminate cloth types available on market which would be a perfect match for Tritons and her kin. Contender Sail Cloth has a cloth by the name of MAXX cloth and Dimension - Polyant is now manufacturing a cloth by the name of Flex Cloth. The beauty of both of these materials is that they are constructed with a multiple axis scrim which allow sailmakers to build a 'cross cut sail' with a grand prix laminate material. The advantages of a 'cross cut' over a radial built sail with either Flex or Maxx is that it creates an ultra - smooth sail with the sail being constructed with approx. 1/3 less seams. Other advantages of this material include the ability of smaller, private lable sailmakers with less overhead in expensive plotting and cutting machines to produce grand prix sails. Hopefully the savings will passed onto the customers - well that is the hope. Anyway- for those of you who are researching cloth for new sails or those that might be interested in learning more about these cloth types give me a shout. As always, I am only a bottom sanding grunt so please take my ramblings as such. Cheers and Good Sailing
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Re: New Sail Cloth of Interest

Post by MikeD »

jollyboat wrote:As always, I am only a bottom sanding grunt so please take my ramblings as such.
You'd better check again. Looks like you've been promoted to "Bottom Paint Application Technician". Congrats!
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Oh, my mistake - promotions are good - I am looking forward to making it above the waterline! Cheers
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

jollyboat wrote: As always, I am only a bottom sanding grunt so please take my ramblings as such.
One thing about online forums is that the post count--and associated rank--rarely have anything to do with the quality of the advice. Sometimes the most valuable advice comes from those with the lowest post counts.

So, there is no need to apologize for being a new member!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating