Parts for masthead

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Parts for masthead

Post by MQMurphy »

I was given a new (old) mast to replace the cracked one that came with my project boat. The masthead is missing some parts - sheaves and ?
Below are photos - arrows in top photo point to 5/16" dia holes. I'm assuming that double sheaves about 2" od x 7/16" thick (each roller) would be inserted at the red arrows. The backstay will connect at the green arrow and the forestay at the yellow arrow. The lower photo is a comparison of the old and new mastheads. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

I did a complete rebuild of the Dufour masthead last year. It was somewhat similar to your new one. Since standard marine sheaves wouldn't fit, I went to good old McMaster -Carr and got stainless sheaves with bronze oilite bushings. Work great!
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

Post by MQMurphy »

Hey, Thanks! I got some answers on another site, but so far the best source mentioned was Rig Rite. It seems a lot of people say Rig Rite can be problematic to deal with, so it is good to hear that McMaster - Carr could be a source.
It seems that I'll need a 2" OD x 7/16" THK x 5/16" ID sheave.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If by some miracle you actually get through to (and receive an order from) Rig-Rite, please post it here.

My own experience (once and once only) was extraordinarily negative--and non-fulfilling, too. I got my stuff elsewhere.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

Try also www.riggingonly.com. I've had good luck with them although I didn't see the sheave size you require on their website.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

If your other efforts prove fruitless - I had my 'bake -o - lite main haylard sheave (spelling?) on #346 replaced with a custom made job that was done for me by Hathaway, Reiser & Raymond - Sailmakers and Riggers in Stamford, CT 203 324-9581 www.hathaways.com
The riggers name their is Tom Anderson [rigger.shop@hathaways.com]
Anyway, the sheave was turned out of billet alum. and served me well.
Cheers - Bottom Application Technician - (yes I know my place - said meekly)
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

Post by MQMurphy »

Nylatron rollers for 3/8" rope halyards. 2" x 7/16" x 5/16" ID. Rig Rite has 3 in stock, one will have to be back ordered. They're $31 each. They answered my fax with a call to my cell phone a day later. Tim, I'll let you know how it goes.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

jollyboat wrote: 'bake -o - lite main haylard sheave (spelling?) )
Bakelite (I'm pretty sure)

;)
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

Post by MQMurphy »

I missed getting a masthead with sheaves on eBay - would've saved a good chunk of $. I'll put in my Rig Rite order this weekend.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

Post by MQMurphy »

Okay, so 'this weekend' turned into two and a half months - my bad. The good news is that I faxed my order to RigRite the day before yesterday and the sheaves were on my porch today. Yikes! So far, I'll have to call my experience with RigRite good.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Rigging supplies

Post by richfriend »

I don't know about Rig-Rite, they are way to pricey for me, especially when they arethe sole supplier. A set of 24 balls and 4 wheels for a 25 year old Seaboard traveler car for $59.00 is a little excessive when I can get a new Harken CB car for $97.00. My best experience has been with Maggie at New England Yacht Rigging. The are friendly, helpful, will talk to you on the phone.They are both within a couple miles of where I live, and I don't work for either of them.
While you think you're green, you're growing,
but when you think you're ripe, you're rotten.
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

Post by MQMurphy »

Have you got contact info for NEYR? I Googled them but they didn't show up in the first three pages. RigRite were the only ones who had a sheave in their catalog (online) that met the requirements of the masthead I've got. Not McMaster-Carr, not Mauri Pro, not West Marine, not Rigging Only, nor Jamestown.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

New England Yacht Rigging

Post by richfriend »

Here is contact info for:

New England Yacht Rigging
1 Water St
East Greenwich, RI 02818-3911
(401) 884-1112

I don't know if they have a web site, but they have a big printed catalog.

Richard Friend
MQMurphy
Topside Painter

Post by MQMurphy »

Thanks, Richard - I'll call them for a catalog. RigRite may be expensive - I haven't got much to compare them to. $31 (x4) for a little nylon roller did seem steep, but what are ya gonna do?
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Parts Sources

Post by richfriend »

We also have a local consignment store http://www.marineconsignment.com/
that is a goldmine of used parts. They have a small amount of 'stuff'
on the web, but much more in the store/wharehouse. If you are still looking for sheaves let me know the size and I will look the next time I am there. They have a plastic bin with a good assorment in it.

NEYR replaced the sheaves on my mast exits (2) for about $25.00. That included two new sheaves and having their machine shop drill out the original SS axles, replace them, and weld them in place. It would have been a bargain at twice the price.

Richard Friend
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

richfriend - where do you sail out of ? we were thinking of doing 2 nights (Sat/Sun) in Wickford this weekend (Sunday forecast = rain so we can grockle and I thought the consignment store may be a good way to while away a few rainy hours. Either way would appreciate some local input.

BTW - they also have a consignment store at Ships store & rigging at Melville in Portsmouth but that's an owner leaves it there for a 75% sale / 25% commission deal. Went in once a while ago, looked like a lot of stuff gathering cobwebs to me and not that well inventoried.

Mark
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

sheaves and other things

Post by richfriend »

Mark, I sail out of East Greenwich, up past Wickford. The store is on Post Road (US Rt.1) just pass Smith's Castle and on the opposite side or the road heading north out of Wickford. The main street in Wickford is 1A.

The store is also consignment based, and not very well inventoried, but there is a lot of "stuff" that comes and goes. If you are looking for something in particular , they will put it in their 'wish book' and if they get it and remember to check, they will call you.

Do you have land transportation? The store is about 1.5 mi from downtown Wickford. If I can be of help let me know as I will probably take a drive down to the store on Saturday and It wouldn't be any trouble.

Richard
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Thanks Richard

We are watching the storm that's forecast for Sunday, that will dictate. We were actually over in Greenwich Bay on Monday (better than working), we came through as far as Warwick point, got some nice shots of the lighthouse there, before we turned back to tack our way back down past Bristol and up under Mt Hope bridge back home again.

Heard two interesting VHF calls over the weekend that I will share :

First was on Sunday, a boater issued a MayDay (yes an actual MayDay) on 16 to the effect that a vessel was overturned in Potters cove. Remarkably everyone cleared the channell and let the CG do his thing. Soon turned out that the vessel was a jetski and there were two people floating in the water (wearing pfd's) and within 5 minutes thay had righted the craft and were on their way - no injures. Now we all kinda laughed a little but somehow I can't blame the guy for calling it in, he may not have been familiar with jetski operation and he may have glanced over and seen the upturned hull and reacted rather than taken a second to appraise the situation. Kudo to the CG for treating him proffessionally and without scorn or rebuke.

The second was on Monday when the CG issued an alert for a partly submerged vessell just north of the Rhode island yacht club (the what ?). Over the course of 90 minutes it transpired that a 52ft wooden vessel had sunk on its mooring and the dialogue between the Cranston harbormaster and the CG ensued. Only a little sheen on the water as of 4.00pm but who knows how much fuel was in the tanks and if they were empty one may be suspicious of a boat sinking on its mooring with empty fuel tanks. (I heard once that statistically more boats sink in Miami in the week following the boat show than any other week of the year !). Shortly after this exchange a RI DEM boat and a CG boat (both 20-30ft RIBs with twin 200hp+ OB's on the back) went cranking up the West passage toward Cranston, but who knows what kind of damage a boat that size could do if the fuel tanks were even half full.

Always something going on, take care out there.

M
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by richfriend »

Keep me posted, if you need a ride. The local term for the powerboaters from up in the RIYC neck of the bay is "the Cranston Navy". They often travel to Greenwich Bay and to Greenwich Cove to visit the very popular waterfront restaurants (Harborside, 20 Water Street, etc.) They are required to dock stern in at the Harborside and it is a worthwhile experience to watch someone used to driving a Hummer try and back his 35ft powerboat up to a dock after consuming several too many brews of his choice. I didn't get on the water til 5:00 on Monday as crew on a Cal racing in the West Bay YC Summer series. I didn't hear anything on the radio but it can be difficult to hear anything over our skipper's incessant commands to trim, ease, or otherwise make some adjustment to the sails, rig or our physical position on the boat.

I hope there wasn't too much of a spill and that the DEM has got it contained.

Richard