Tiller extension poll

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.

When do you use your tiller extension?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:14 pm

All the time. All points of sail and motoring
No votes
Only when sailing both racing and cruising
No votes
Only when racing
100%
Only when sailing up wind.
No votes

Total votes: 1

CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

OK - where's all the responses go?? To this and the other two about tiller extensions. Including the picture I posted.

Seems like there is a problem here.
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Tiller extension poll

Post by Robert The Gray »

The cold rainy march day off has lead me on an opionion fishing expedition. I do not use a tiller extension at this point in time. I also wanted to try the poll option to tthis forum
When do you use it?
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I really like a tiller extension/hiking stick for racing. However, I don't race the Triton and, while I've considered it, I won't be adding a tiller extension to Mojito.

The Triton's narrow cockpit and the fact the the coamings (and, uh, other design characteristics) eliminate the need for real hiking by the helmsman or significant mobility in the cockpit make the tiller extension, to my mind, superfluous. It also seems to me that it would be in the way 95% of the time.

That said, on the right boat, they are essential. Particularly when racing when you can perch on the weather rail and steer from there.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com