Chainplate and toggle sizing

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Chainplate and toggle sizing

Post by Ryan »

I am using 1-1/2"x1/4" stainless for the chainplates, partially because it is cheap for me to get and partially because I like overkill. The toggles on the turnbuckles that connect to these chainplates are the standard 3/8" pin size. Does anyone see a problem with the close tolerance of the chainplate thickness to the jaw width of the toggle? How about the slight misalignment of the lower shroud toggle coming down from the mast at a slight angle to the vertical chainplate?
Last edited by Ryan on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I don't see any particular problem with either as long as there is enough room for the toggle to move on the chain plate without binding.

The toggle itself will handle the slight misalignment of the lowers- that is what the toggles are there for :)

I installed toggles under every turnbuckle on the boat- wouldn't re rig without them by the way. Good you are using them.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

Charlie

I agree, I wouldn't have thought of re-rigging without toggles. I was contemplating skewing the lower chainplates a bit to make a more fair lead for the lowers, but in reality, the angle isn't that great anyway, and like you said, that's what the toggles are for! Thanks for the reply.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

CharlieJ wrote:I don't see any particular problem with either as long as there is enough room for the toggle to move on the chain plate without binding.

The toggle itself will handle the slight misalignment of the lowers- that is what the toggles are there for :)

I installed toggles under every turnbuckle on the boat- wouldn't re rig without them by the way. Good you are using them.
Ditto.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating