Adding a Removable Forestay

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
Vince124
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Kintyre
Boat Type: Contessa 26

Adding a Removable Forestay

Post by Vince124 »

Looking to add a removable inner forestay mainly for a storm jib; I’m avoiding the use of a sleeve-type storm jib around the furled headsail if I can help it. The plan is to run the forestay from the mast down to the deck approximately 24” aft of the furler using a heavy folding padeye or U-bolt with appropriate backing. The chain pipe/anchor prevents a closer attachment
1. I’m hoping to get some recommendations on what type of tensioning attachment others have used to attach the removable forestay to the deck.
2. I see two attachment possibilities at the mast: (A.) Attach the inner forestay on the mast itself using tangs (preferred method), keeping the removable forestay parallel with the main forestay, which would bring the top of the removable forestay a few feet down from the top of the mast. Any recommendations on hardware or other type of attachment? (B.) The masthead has two slots with pins forward of the mast. Currently the main forestay is pinned in the aft slot, while the forward slot has a spare/spinnaker halyard. If I move the main forestay to the forward slot (turnbuckle threads should be able to accommodate), I could pin the inner forestay in the aft slot. This seems less preferable, as the headsail will likely contact the removable forestay even when pulled back in its “stored” position.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Adding a Removable Forestay

Post by atomvoyager »

Here's a link to a discussion of inner stay tensioning devices:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6438&p=52899&hilit=solent#p52899

I would keep the headstay and spinn halyard where they are and add your solent stay to a mast hound within about 2 feet of the top of the mast so that the backstay will support the load. You don't need to have the solent stay exactly parallel to the headstay. Ask a rigging supplier for a suitable mast hound.
Vince124
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Kintyre
Boat Type: Contessa 26

Re: Adding a Removable Forestay

Post by Vince124 »

Thanks. I'm not sure how I missed that post, but it's exactly what I need.